• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can these be house together?

feather2night

5 Year Member
Here is my question - can I put a variety of apistogramma in with a pair of kribs? so new to these dwarf cichlids want to be sure before I purchase/order them. And if yes is there a particuliar variety I should stay away from as potential roommates for this pair? Thanks Feather

KenL

5 Year Member
Not an ideal combination but it depends on the size of the tank and the amount of decor/cover you have.

If the tank were small, say 24", and the kribs spawned, there is a good chance the Apistos would be killed.

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
I have kribs with Apisto's Bittiana,Panduro, Nijsseni,Cockato's there in a 75gal tank and they Have been togeather for sents two's weeks before Christmas. There has been no fighting but between the Orange Flash male and the cockato male.
The only reason that happened was because I put the Orange Flash male in the tank will his tank was cycling. I removed him not 2mins after I put him in there. But the rest has been togeather sents the above leaght.
I don't see any fighting or anything between the Apisto's and the Kribs.

feather2night

5 Year Member
Thank you for the input. Reading this and other forum discussions, traded several of my larger Lake Malawi's in, low and behold with some work found 2 young pairs of Apistogramma Nisani and Agazzi.:biggrin:
Was told that they pairs are so young currently that it would be alright for them to reside in the same tank?. There are no other fish in with them, its all to themselves. They did come out and eat quite well their first couple of feedings, I hope they continue this.

There will sure to be more questions as they continue to get older, but now they seem quite happy fish in their new home all to themselves.

Feather P.S. I do believe I have the name incorrect on the one variety, I typed it as it was spelled for me when I purchased the fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It appears that you have A. nijsseni & A. agassizii (correct spellings). They should get along fine in a larger tank, say 36"/90 cm or larger. A. nijsseni forms a pair bond for the breeding period. A. agassizii is a typical polygamous breeder. This puts the aggies at a disadvantage when fry appear. The nijsseni will work as a pair in defending their brood. Aggies have only the female for this purpose. 2 against 1 is never fun (for the 1)!

feather2night

5 Year Member
That is the correct names, I read about the different varieties for a while, and looking at pictures and them, that is definitely what they are. I will post some pics of the new kids as soon as they get more relaxed to life in the zoo. They seem quite happy, came right out for the breakfast feeding of the day, course they lucked out, I had some leftover BBS from feeding the lifalli fry.

Feather

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….