• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

can PH neutral sand be a problem??

jhj0112

I have been working on 2 apistos tanks with caribsea supernatural sand to lower PH for 2-3 months.

However, PH stays at 7 no matter what I do( including peat moss, almond leaves). my tap water PH with peat moss filtered is 5.8-6.0. There is nothing in the tank that can raise PH to 7 ( driftwood, 2 pots, and plants).

this leads to me that this PH neutral sand causes this as Ph does not go above 6.8-7.0.

is this possible? if sand is the problem, how can I change the substrate?? the only reason I got this sand is that I thought it would be perfect for apistos and it says sand does not increase PH...

currently I have Aggie D red in one tank and uaupesi in the other.. I really would like to lower the PH especially uaupesi tank..

regani

5 Year Member
has the driftwood been in a nother tank before? if DW is kept for a long time in a high pH environment, it can cause problems later

jhj0112

no I bought it from LFS and soaked it under our tab water for a couple of days.. this really drives me nuts.. I have big chunk of peat moss in both tank as well as peat moss in the filter and 5-6 almond leaves.... any help would be very appriciated!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Might it have very small shell fragments in the sand? You'd probably need a binocular microscope to see if some of the sand is shell sand.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't understand the term "pH neutral sand". Is the sand chemically inert and doesn't affect the water's pH or does it contain some buffering agent to keep the water's pH neutral?? If the sand truly is inert (doesn't release anything) then something else in the tank must be doing it. Why not do a test. Take some of the sand and put it in a glass with only your treated water. Check the pH over a period of days. If the pH rises, then there is something in the sand causing it; if not then it's something else in your tank.

jhj0112

same here Mike... all it says is PH neutral sand.. I did PH test on everything except the sand.. I just took some sand out of the tank and put it in the container with tapwater.. I will leave it for at least 24 hrs to see if PH goes up.. it is so weird that PH does not go above 7.0 though..

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I get a weird feeling that they somehow have mixed a buffering agent into the sand to keep the pH at neutral. I don't think a day will be long enough to adequately test your water, a week or 2 would be more informative. I would use some of your treated water instead of water straight for the tap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….