• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can Anyone id My Apistogramma Please

Fats

Hi all,i recently got hold of 4 wild caught Apistos. I was wondering if anyone could id these for me and sex if possible.

Thanks
Ian

Fish 1
IMG_2181.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

Fish 2
IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

Fish 3
IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2185.jpg

Fish 4
IMG_2156.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. sp. Xingu. Not sure about which population, but the length of the red band in the dorsal and lack of spotting on the flanks makes me think it might be the population inaccurately named "A. sp. aff. Peixoto".

Fats

Hi,thanks for that mike. Sorry there wasn't much information i was in a rush. These were imported into the UK and sold as A.Vielfleck but after a while a few people realized there fish looked a little different than the others. I will try to get some better pictures of them.

Regards
Ian

ste12000

5 Year Member
Hi,thanks for that mike. Sorry there wasn't much information i was in a rush. These were imported into the UK and sold as A.Vielfleck but after a while a few people realized there fish looked a little different than the others. I will try to get some better pictures of them.

Regards
Ian

Hi Ian, nice fish and pictures, were these the same fish imported by Rare aquatics in august/sept last year? they look a little young to be from the same batch?

Most from that import were A.sp'vielfleck' A.38 population with one male fish reported and photographed which is almost certainly A.sp 'Xingu' A37..

Most of the people owning A.sp 'vielfleck' pairs managed to spawn them and recorded this on the BCA website in a interesting thread http://www.britishcichlid.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3499 non have reported any fish that may be A.sp 'Peixoto' and its now around 5-6 months since the first import. The only other import was to Manchester where a shop sold A.'assuruni', a friend picked some up from that import but i have not seen any pics or fish from that import.

Mike what would we be looking at as features to distinguish between the morphs of A.sp 'Xingu'? especially females.

Could Ian's fish be a young A.sp 'vielfleck'??

Fats

Hi Ste,i believe all 4 of these fish were indeed from Rare Aquatics. I got these from Steve1572. Fish number 4 which i got of him this week as he lost his female i would say this is an adult. Im sure Steve will come along and confirm they were from Rare Aquatics. If there not Vielfleck would be interesting to find out what they are.

Ian

ste12000

5 Year Member
I hope you dont mind me putting my fish in this thread but its a interesting post and id like to work out exactly what everyone has from the Rare aquatic import..There are already two seperate forms reported A37 and A38(1 male reported so far), yours if sp 'Peixoto' make this 3 morphs (A39).. How do we differentiate between the morphs and especially females?

Mine is definately A.sp'vielfleck' A38..Imported as A.assuruni by Rare aquatics in August/September 2011..

DSCF6304.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
... none have reported any fish that may be A.sp 'Peixoto'...

This is the problem with the name A. sp. aff. Peixoto. A. sp. Peixoto is a very different species from the upper Rio Tapajós. A. sp Xingu in all of its morphs are from the middle & lower Rio Xingu. I would be very happy if the name 'A. sp. aff. Peixoto' could magically disappear. The problem is that it appears to be a distinct color morph/population of A. sp. Xingu, but we have no idea where it is actually collected other than "in the Xingu".

Could Ian's fish be a young A.sp 'vielfleck'??

I don't think so. The Vielfleck form of A. sp. Xingu should show much more spotting on the head and flanks.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There are already two seperate forms reported A37 and A38(1 male reported so far), yours if sp 'Peixoto' make this 3 morphs (A39).. How do we differentiate between the morphs and especially females?

Actually, I can recognize at least 4 color morphs of A. sp. Xingu: A. sp. Xingu, A. cf. sp. Xingu (Gold Nugget), A. sp. aff. Peixoto, A. sp. Vielfleck/Multi-spot. Females all look alike to me.

Mine is definately A.sp'vielfleck' A38..Imported as A.assuruni by Rare aquatics in August/September 2011..

Yes and no. They don't show the extensive spotting found on the original A. sp. Xingu (Vielfleck). In truth they look very much like the form introduce by Stawikowski as "A. sp. Samaúma". What is see is a continuous gradation in the amount of spotting on the heads and flanks from none to many.

dpien

5 Year Member
Here is a picture of my male, imported with the same batch as ste12000's
(although the dorsal fin is unfortunately not extended in this pic, the 'red stripe' in the dorsal covers approx. half the anterior length of the dorsal) :

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd439/dpien/DSC04063-1.jpg

Here is a picture of the female (there is a red dorsal fin stripe again, plus red in the same places as the male - tail, pelvics and anal fins):

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd439/dpien/DSC00034.jpg

Because the male looks EXACTLY like both the A38 males pictured in the Apistogramma 'bible', the Datz book, surely it must be sp. Vielfleck?

summerboy1958

This is what I see:

Hi all,i recently got hold of 4 wild caught Apistos. I was wondering if anyone could id these for me and sex if possible.

Thanks
Ian

Fish 1

Fish 2

Fish 3

Fish 4

Fats

Hi,got some better pics of the pair. They have spawned since starting this thread as you can see the male that was originally fish number 4 in the first post on this thread looks completely different now it has settled in a lot more spotting has become noticeable. See what you think Vielfleck?? or Peixoto??

Ian

Male
20f36df7.jpg

f3d05ebc.jpg

Male And Female
b47ced71.jpg

Female And Fry
c41fdc34.jpg

02c59a59.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….