• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cacatuoides courtship behaviour

Griz

5 Year Member
I'm hoping to gain some insight into some odd behaviour I have been noticing with my cacatuoides. I have a trio which is now about 16-18 months old and in good health. They produce fry regularly which are eventually picked off by their tankmates. (I have no desire to keep the fry)

ttmale will lay on or near the bottom, fins clamped, motionless and very dark in colour. It scared the heck out of me the first few times I witnessed it! I have since come to the conclusion that it is related to courtship. He only does this with one of his females very close by and she exhibits similar, but not as drastic behaviour. They sometimes will do this for long periods of time and then will quickly revert to normal colouration and behaviour. It seems to me that this only occurs when he is attempting to gain the acceptance of the subordinate of his two females. Perhaps she is shy and he needs to be more gentle in his advances? He seems to have no trouble with the dominant female who is always yellow and constantly flirting with him. She is definitely the aggressor in their relationship and produces fry like clockwork. (A rather beautiful example IMHO who exhibits some male colouration)

Any insight into what is going on would really be appreciated.

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
Can't say that my C. act like that . The male is always flashing his pretty fins and the female goes on her side showing her tummy. They have only spawned once that I know of, but look like they will again in the next day or 2. I would be very happy if mine do parent raise, but time will tell. The last spawn was eaten on the second day, but I don't know if was one of the pair or the 3 BN pleco in the tank.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your observation is rarely seen, but not unusual. The males of many apistos will advance toward a shy female in a submissive way in order to not frighten her away before he has a chance to court her.

Griz

5 Year Member
Thank you Mike. This is exactly what he seems to be doing wasn't able to find anything describing this sort of behavior.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….