1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brine shrimp cultures

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ttw, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Ttw

Ttw Active Member 5 Year Member

Does anyone add a drop or two of chlorine bleach to a liter of their bbs culture?
  2. Bart Hazes

Bart Hazes Member

Not me. Why would you?
  3. Ttw

Ttw Active Member 5 Year Member

Several people in this area do this and they claim a higher hatch rate and fewer culture crashes. I had not heard of it before.
  4. Bart Hazes

Bart Hazes Member

I start three small cultures, in cocktail glasses, each day for morning, noon, and evening feeding. I can normally reuse the water for a second and sometimes a third batch. I don't know how to count hatched vs non-hatched eggs but have been very happy with yields.
    Most invertebrates are particularly sensitive to chemicals so I'm surprised they'd be ok with added bleach. But experience is more valuable than expectations.
    Shane Puthuparambil likes this.
  5. Shane Puthuparambil

Shane Puthuparambil Member

Why not just try it and see for yourself? Brine shrimp are notoriously hardy. I have heard of this rumor too.
  6. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

I've heard of people using bleach baths on eggs to dissolve the shell, but they rinse the eggs before adding them to the brine solution.
    gerald and Bart Hazes like this.