• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Blue rams fighting

BlueRose

Hi, all. I just joined this forum and i need some help. I'll try to keep this post as short as possible.

About 6 months ago i got pair of blue rams that were paired at the store. I put them in a ten gallon cycled tank and they got along very well. They spawned a few times but the fry always disappeared after a few days. After about the 3rd spawn the male blue ram started chasing the female away so he could guard the eggs because the female was eating them.

He started ripping her fins so i put a divider in to separate them. Then I would let them back together when the female was ready to breed. But from then on the male would only be nice for about a week then start chasing her again.

Finally I got tired of messing with them and just left the divider up. They were fine though not as pretty as when they're together. Anyway, I got an Otto to eat the algae so i opened the tank back up, the male went back to his same old stuff and this time the female didnt want to mate and had no pink on her even though it had been a while. I just let him chase her hoping they would make up. Well they didn't.

So I decided to put them in my 29 gallon tank which was now empty. So I put the female in first and let her get used to the new tank before adding the male. But he's still chasing her around! I added a school of danios thinking maybe it would give the male something else to chase. But he couldn't care less about them!

Does he just not like her anymore? Will they ever be a pair again? I really like both of them but I'm not sure what to do so he's not harnessing the poor female to death :(

Tank has plants, caves and such but it's not heavily decorated.
Water temp 82
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 80
Ph 7.5 (I know it's high for rams but that's what they were bred in)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm afraid the 'he's just not into her'. After so many failed attempts (in a tank too small BTW) your male is looking for a new mate. Now he's trying to drive her away in hopes that another female will appear.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….