• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Blue rams and A. baenschi male?

Greg

G'day. I have a 100L tall tank (24l x 14w x 22h) with a lone male Apisto. baenschi (I thought I was buying 2 females...). If I cannot get a pair of females for him, would it be okay to add a pair of blue rams? Or would I be best to find a good home for him before adding a different species?
For tankmates, he has 8 black neon tetras and recently 6 panda cories. Given the tank is tall substrate space is limited. There may be limited supplies of Apistos imported this year bue to FX rates, so I'm depending on finding a local breeder or LFS with contacts.
I've also seen a few other threads that have warned against mixing too-similar species, so I would NOT want to get a pair of A. nissenji and even A. caucatoides may be too similar?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I am guessing that your tank has a bottom area 24x14x22" and not cm. Am I correct? Tank depth has virtually no effect on the size/number of territories in a tank. Only the bottom area is important. Your tank should be able to house 2 different dwarf cichlid species - if properly decorated. You can try a Ram, but it is not my idea of a good community. Rams need higher temperatures than A. baenschi.

Greg

Correct and thanks, inches not cm - my apologies for mixing SI and imperial!
That gives me a good 8 weeks of research until the fish auctions :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothygaw

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….