• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black patterns pelvin fins A. sp miua

Erik82

5 Year Member
Hi All,
Since a while I have a wild pair of miua. They are realy fantastic fish. For now I have about 40 little F1 fish :) Me was told they were easy to sexe throught de pattern in the analfin. But it looks like to be harder then it looks like.It seems I have almost only young males and the difference between male and female is not that obvious. I am glad I have seen at least one female when I put about three (imo) males in one tank, see photo below.

I am looking for an other way to sexe the little F1. Does the males also show black marking on the pelvin fins when they are stressed/catched out of a tank? I thought the females does and is an alternative for me to sexe them

Best regards Erik

IMG_0362_zps1tsznxty.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Like other bitaeniata-group species, A. sp. Miua shows very little black pigment on the ventral fins - even females - so I find it unreliable for sex determination. Other than the more pronounced stripes on the anal fin of males, one has to wait until the fish are fully mature. Then the males grow larger and develop longer fins. BTW a high % of males would indicate that the breeding/rearing temperature was too high and/or the pH was too low.

Erik82

5 Year Member
Like other bitaeniata-group species, A. sp. Miua shows very little black pigment on the ventral fins - even females - so I find it unreliable for sex determination. Other than the more pronounced stripes on the anal fin of males, one has to wait until the fish are fully mature. Then the males grow larger and develop longer fins. BTW a high % of males would indicate that the breeding/rearing temperature was too high and/or the pH was too low.
Thx for your replay Mike. The temperature and pH were not that high in my opinion(25 degrees pH around 5,5-6 I guess) I also noticed more people are facing this issue(Germany and so).

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Strange. I would think that you would get more females at these temperatures/pH values. Is there any chance that you lose more females from a school of fry????

Erik82

5 Year Member
Strange. I would think that you would get more females at these temperatures/pH values. Is there any chance that you lose more females from a school of fry????
Normaly the ratio male female is OK in my fishroom. Thought I had the same problems with A. viejta (at temp 25-26 and pH 6.6 the ratio male-female was about 9-1.

It could be I have lost a few females from the school of fry. Because one of my females died I raised the most of the fry in a separated tank. A few died in there but if they all were females... they were less then 1cm long.. The second batch from the second female is for now two small to sexe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….