• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Biotoecus sp. "Rio Tapajos"

WildPERU

5 Year Member
Mr. Bleher in P-town/Dicrossus in Peru

Heiko,

I will check with the Greater Portland Aquarium Society and see what the dates of your arrival here will be. It may coincide with my return from Peru in August. I would be interested to meet you. On a side note, I DID collect a Dicrossus in Southern Peru back in 2005 that I guessed was close to D. maculatus. I will go back and re-collect it this year and get some decent photos of it at least. So Dicrossus range at least to 12 degrees south in Peru.

Best,
Brian Perkins
WildPERU
www.nuurth.net

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi,

just tell me: why are some of you guys ONLY read what you want to read and things which have not been written at all????

ie. With no word I have written anything similar such as some of you mentioned as:
1. "100% sure"
2. "... that no amateur/hobbyist can find something new..."
3. And I did not say with any word, that I am "unwilling to accept", just to mention a few of your un-correct statements (or interpretations).

ALL of these are words YOU are putting in my mouth!!!!!

I just mentioned here the existing facts, those which are recognized by the scientific community, verified through decades of field work and sampling and also which have been published. And I mentioned my findings (which with no word should be 100%, nor that I checked every single one of the 100,000 Amazon affluent creeks and rivers).

So you all better read before you spit it out and verify what you write, at least I do.

Besides of these facts (and anyone can verify them) it might be of additional interest (at least to some of you):
The giant white-water mighty Amazon river is a NATURAL barrier for many (the majority at least) of the small (and smallest) fishes between the species from the southern to the northern part (or vs. versa) and if anyone of you has been there, he can probably understand that such small species can hardly cross tenths of kilometers without being washed away, eaten, caught or killed do to the big difference of the chemical water parameters...

But I guess I am wasting my time here to pass on some valid (but never 100%) information based on science and personal experience from 330 Amazon field trips. And b.t.w.: Did anyone of you every realize that NOTHING on this planet is 100%, except for the fact that we all die. That is 100% of a fact, which no one can deny, and the only one.

Best regards anyhow from one who cannot know everything by 100% (but I know Glaser, as he worked for me for several years...).

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

Heiko we have a saying here in America that nothing in life is for sure except birth death and taxes. Heiko you might mention that a reason why some species (ie agassizi) show up in different river systems, far from each other, is because of the wet season flooding. Otherwise someone will bring it up

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
On a side note, I DID collect a Dicrossus in Southern Peru back in 2005 that I guessed was close to D. maculatus. I will go back and re-collect it this year and get some decent photos of it at least. So Dicrossus range at least to 12 degrees south in Peru.

How interesting. This is the 2nd report of a Dicrossus species from Peru. The first could not be verified by subsequent collecting. It was from northern Peru, near Iquitos. Collecting it from the Madre de Dios system would be a very great surprise, being so far from any other known occurence of the genus. I'm not saying that it's impossible, just unlikely from a distributional point of view. After all, I know that a Crenicara species occurs in the Madre de Dios, so I'll keep an open mind for now. I would be very interested in seeing photos of the fish if you are successful at collecting it again.

WildPERU

5 Year Member
Dicrossus in Peru

Guys,
I will be back in that same spot in July and will see about finding and photographing them. My clients this time out are specifically looking for Dwarf cichlids, so they will be very interested in getting into them too. They were not super abundant, but they are definitely there. I found A. urtegai nearby in the same stream further up, away from the road. Also in that same stream system were an interesting long-nosed cory, a different pencilfish, marble hatchets, bagrid cats, Burjurquis, Festivum, a nice dwarf Crencichla, and juvenile knifefishes! There also is a great location for A. rubroliniatus not far from there. (two actually) So it is kind of a hot spot...

Best,
Brian Perkins
WildPERU
www.nuurth.net

WildPERU

5 Year Member
Great trip!

Yes, I am very excited at the propects for this region. Still many places lacking a systematic survey of the fishes living there. Many places have never, to my knowledge, seen a net...... Surf to my website in a month or so (see my sig) I keep a blog there. Photos of what we find will show up there first.

Best,

Brian Perkins
WildPERU
www.nuurth.net

Heiko Bleher

5 Year Member
Hi,

I did not see this answer before, because since I am giving lectures around the world - every weekend in another country or continent for the last 7 weeks.

I just wanted to say: I think it is a serious matter placing the word "liar" into the mouth of someone who never said or written this word. I cannot see anywhere, that I said that someone is a "liar", and I also never said, that I have verifyed every single area and collected everything - althoug I have 330 Amazon expeditions doing fish- and aquatic research there on my back, I would never say "I collected it all", that is simply impossible. Not in 10 lives. I said what my experience in that area was and the experience I have had with Glaser (he worked for me for 2,5 years).

So do not write such incorrect things.

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com
www.aqua-aquapress.com

WildPERU

5 Year Member
Recollection of Crenicara in Madre de Dios

All,

I successfully re-collected a Crenicara I referred to earlier on this forum yesterday! I found this fish in a place where I´d collected many times before and never seen it, until now. They are not common. I only collected three and I have high hopes that one is a female. They are gorgeous! The photos I have will be posted shortly on my website, www.nuurth.net, so surf in there and have a look when you get a chance. I have collected Crenicaras at two locations in Madre de dios now. I will be interested to get your feedback.

Sympatrics:
Burjurquina spp.
Crencichla spp. "green stripes"
Apisto. luellingi
Pryrhllina vitata
Moenkhausia oligolepis
Corydoras aeneus gold lazer
Hemigrammis spp.
5 spp. of knife fish

Water: 74F, 10ms conduct., pH 6.0 slight current, heavy plant cover

Best Wishes,

Brian Perkins
WildPERU

How interesting. This is the 2nd report of a Dicrossus species from Peru. The first could not be verified by subsequent collecting. It was from northern Peru, near Iquitos. Collecting it from the Madre de Dios system would be a very great surprise, being so far from any other known occurence of the genus. I'm not saying that it's impossible, just unlikely from a distributional point of view. After all, I know that a Crenicara species occurs in the Madre de Dios, so I'll keep an open mind for now. I would be very interested in seeing photos of the fish if you are successful at collecting it again.

WildPERU

5 Year Member
Punctulatum

Mike,

Thanks. I was pretty convinced that it is C. punctulatum or near to it as soon as it came up in the net. Now that I look at the photos, they both look to be males.... Finger crossed. I can go back there again easily enough and look again for females if need be.

Best,

Brian Perkins
WildPERU
www.nuurth.net

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mike,

Thanks. I was pretty convinced that it is C. punctulatum or near tohttp://www.nuurth.net it ...

I think "near to it" is probably closer to the truth. Right now, I believe that it is a superspecies, sort of like A. agassizii is. It probably is several closely related species. It is found over much of the Amazon basin and into the Guianas. It appears to have a distribution pattern very similar to the regani-complex.

WildPERU

5 Year Member
Punctulata

I think "near to it" is probably closer to the truth. Right now, I believe that it is a superspecies, sort of like A. agassizii is. It probably is several closely related species. It is found over much of the Amazon basin and into the Guianas. It appears to have a distribution pattern very similar to the regani-complex.

I went back to the same spot and collected two more individuals. I will try to get better pics of them before I ship them home to myself....

Brian

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
After reading through this entire thread another point that is overlooked is accidental introduction. This was without doubt the case with Discus the Peruvian Nanay.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
After reading through this entire thread another point that is overlooked is accidental introduction. This was without doubt the case with Discus the Peruvian Nanay.

I would think that this is unlikely since the area around Puerto Maldonado is not a hot bed of fish exporters/fish breeders. Kullander collect the species in the Rio Tambopata, near Puerto Maldonado, in 1983. I don't think there were any ornamental fish operations at that time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….