• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Biotoecus sp. "Rio Tapajos"

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
You may remember about a year ago Aqua Glaser had Biotoecus sp. Rio Tapajos on their list. I bought some, got them to breed (before the wild caught parents all died off), raised the F1 and got some nice looking fish. There was some question as to whether these were just Biotoecus opecularis. Below is the best picture I have of one of my F1 males. What do you guys think - opecularis?

4680457003_8fe26bd125_b.jpg

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
The dorsal pattern and tail patterns are differant than the only male pic I have in my library for opercularis, but I've never seen them in person so would be hesitant to say.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Based on the club shaped body outline, I would say that it is a population of B. opercularis. It's not always easy to ID based on well-fed, domestic fish, however.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
I have a pic of one of the babies I got from opercularis when I bred them (a loooooong time ago!). Looks just like that, I'll see if I can find it.

Kathy Olson

5 Year Member
You may remember about a year ago Aqua Glaser had Biotoecus sp. Rio Tapajos on their list. I bought some, got them to breed (before the wild caught parents all died off), raised the F1 and got some nice looking fish. There was some question as to whether these were just Biotoecus opecularis. Below is the best picture I have of one of my F1 males. What do you guys think - opecularis?

4680457003_8fe26bd125_b.jpg

Okay, I am not used to forums, at all. My last post ended up in oblivion. Steve, do you still have these fish? If so, I would love to get some if you are selling. They are great. I do not see them in the hobby that often. Thanks, Kathy Olson Seattle WA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….