• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baenschi Advice

WarrenNorwichUK

Hi,

I had a pair of Baenschi in my 125l tank and I’ve just had to euthanise my male. My problem is that they were a breeding pair and there is currently 4 generations of fry in the tank with the now lone female currently herding a batch of week old fry about.

I have a spare small male at my work. I know I can’t just introduce him as the female will likely kill him. Am I best to wait until her youngest fry leave her protection? Or should I wait and separate all fry to their own tank? Is she even likely to ever pair off with another male again? I have been wanting to strip the tank and re do the scape to a black water set up for a while.

Many thanks in advance for any advice given.
Warren

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, I'd wait until all of the fry are old enough to be in their own grow-out tank. Then re-arrange the breeding tank decor and add the adults at the same time. It's possible that your adults will pair up for breeding. A. baenschi doesn't seem to be as 'choosy' about a breeding partner as some nijsseni-group species.

WarrenNorwichUK

I’ve got a 70 litre tank I can move them to when they’re ready. I also have another 60lt tank for the female and a new male.

I want to re do the 125lt in hope of obtaining a pair of Rositae.

Thanks for you advice it’s appreciated

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….