• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

artificial raising

aspen

5 Year Member
i was browsing the net, (as i often do) and came upon a site dedicated to teaching students on the artificial raising of danios, for the purpose of scientific research. it is a good site full of good general tips on raising baby fish:

http://zfin.org/zf_info/zfbook/cont.html

one thing which struck me in my reading was this passage, in chapter 3:

'Zebrafish embryos must be prepared properly before they are transferred into the Nursery. The user should separate the fertile embryos from the infertile ones and then meticulously clean the fertile embryos. If the eggs are not too dirty, several rinses with system water are sufficient. For extremely dirty eggs or when infection is suspected, bleaching the eggs may be necessary.

A solution of bleach water is made by placing 0.1 ml of 5.25% sodium hypochlorite (bleach) and 170 ml of system water into a 250 ml beaker. To bleach the eggs, first rinse them with system water and then place 25 to 30 into the beaker of bleach solution. Swirl the beaker and allow the eggs to separate and the entire surface of each chorion to come into contact with the water. After one to two minutes in the solution, remove the eggs with a clean pipette and place them into a beaker of clean water. Again, swirl the eggs and allow each one to receive a thorough rinse. Repeat the rinse procedure and then place the eggs into 250 ml beakers at 25 to 30 eggs each.'

anybody ever thought of using BLEACH to clean their eggs prior to removing them for artificial raising?!! (note that the concentration is VERY low.)

rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….