• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are they in LOVE or are they going to kill each other?

Water Changer

5 Year Member
A couple of weeks ago I purchased my first pair of apistogrammas - triple red cacatuoides - one male and one female.

My intention was to add them to my 29 gallon tetra tank, but first I placed them in a 10 gallon quarantine set up.

I don't know how old they were when I purchased them, they are of sufficient age to sex. The male is colored up and they are defiently male/female, but they were smaller than I expected when they arrived.

I've been feeding New Life Spectrum Thera + A which they immediatley accepted.

I feed once a day, same time in the mornings.

I skip one day a week.

I am on well water so I do not use any type of water additives or "fixers".

My ph is 7.4

I've been consistently performing 50% water changes in the 10 gallon in every 4 days.

My set up includes the standard 10 gallon sponge filter driven by an air pump.

The female inhabits a flower pot and the male an opened ended cave like structure.

The fish have really grown and colored up nicely since their arrival.

A few days ago I noticed the female would swim next to the little male and turn on her side and kinda "shutter". At the same time she kinda flutters her tail at him.

He hasn't really seemed to respond, although I did notice yesterday that he fluttered his tail back at her and he'll follow her over to her flower pot where she goes inside....

This morning she again danced and fluttered at him and as he moved away she went after him as to say pay attention!

I'm assuming this is a corting behavior(?), but my real concern if it is and he doesn't respond will she get nasty aggressive with the little male and do him harm?

I'm also a little concerned that he might get annoyed with her behavior and do her harm - yes/no?

I didn't purchase the fish to breed, I just like them... but if they do decide to spawn that would be pretty special as well.

I'm new, so if my question is primitive bare with me... I'm tired of google searching and just want some input on what I am experiencing.

gerald

5 Year Member
" Are they in LOVE or are they going to kill each other? "

Unfortunately, with cichlids, there's not much distinction between these two behaviors.
Usually when females beat up males it's AFTER she has spawned and is guarding eggs or fry (but not always). So most likely she'll just keep wiggling her stuff at him until he decides he's ready, and probably wont hurt him. The opposite is NOT true; a male who is ready will often beat up a female who isn't. But I dont think he'll get annoyed and beat her up if he's not interested in spawning. It's mainly the spawning interest (and egg/fry guarding) that induces serious aggression in both sexes.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
A few days ago I noticed the female would swim next to the little male and turn on her side and kinda "shutter". At the same time she kinda flutters her tail at him.

He hasn't really seemed to respond, although I did notice yesterday that he fluttered his tail back at her and he'll follow her over to her flower pot where she goes inside....

This morning she again danced and fluttered at him and as he moved away she went after him as to say pay attention!

I'm assuming this is a corting behavior(?),
The female is ready to spawn and trying to attract the males attention. The male doesn't have to physically enter the females cave to fertilise the eggs.

I don't think they will damage one another at the moment, but I'd try to put some more caves etc in to break up line of sight etc.

Have a look at these web pages for some details of what you want for your fish: <http://dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_care.php>.

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….