• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Winklefleck

Iamtechno13

The other day I my female winklefleck started turning yellow. She got turned more yellow over the course of a couple days then stayed that color all the while defending a piece of driftwood thats got a large hole in it. Nothing really ever came of it I don't think as she has started losing her yellow and they are no longer defending that spot. What is the typical breeding process, is there a courtship, how long does it take, once they actually do how long for the eggs? I've bred German/Electric Blue rams and I guess how similar are Apisto's and are they all the same?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apisto courtship: 5-15 minutes; you rarely see it. From eggs to hatching: 3 days, depending on temperature. Larval stage (hatching to freeswimming): 4 more days, depending on temperature. Give them a few more chances. Also helps to get the water pH and hardness right, too.

caraway

The other day I my female winklefleck started turning yellow. She got turned more yellow over the course of a couple days then stayed that color all the while defending a piece of driftwood thats got a large hole in it. Nothing really ever came of it I don't think as she has started losing her yellow and they are no longer defending that spot. What is the typical breeding process, is there a courtship, how long does it take, once they actually do how long for the eggs? I've bred German/Electric Blue rams and I guess how similar are Apisto's and are they all the same?

I have winklefleck as well. My females have turned yellow several times, but never have spawned. My male is quite nice and often chases the female I have a bit, but that is about it. Can not seem to get them to spawn. I have been add ing more RO water to my water changes to get it a bit softer and lower in PH. Maybe this will help?

Iamtechno13

I was lucky enough to see the courtship between my Tefe Oranges and now I'm waiting for the eggs to start wiggling. I have a few pairs of Winkle's as I really like these fish. Not the most vibrant or brightly colored but it doesn't matter, these fish are beautiful. Just had the one turn yellow and they had their spot and it seems like one day they just gave up though she is still kind of yellow, she never really lost it but she isn't near as bright as she was. Seems like my Pebas and Macmasteri are getting ready to. Females are getting yellower and yellower.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….