• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Viejita Red Neck (US)

Kruz

Well I've been looking for a pair now for about 2 months and no bueno. I found a pair today. Drove 300 pulls mile. If no one can help you find it you got to find it your self.;)

sundragon

From experience, the "red neck" is a macmastei sold as a viejita.

I've bought them from Wet Spot, but shipping overnight is a killer.
Apistogramma viejita "Red Neck" 1.5-2" $15.00

Here's a link to the pair I bought as "viejita" red necks

Reggie Leuty

I see your little gems are aduts , the ones available local here are adults as well , perhaps these aer WILD ? or maybe a breeder just flooded the market with burnt out adults ?

merlin

5 Year Member
Sundragon Both fish in video look like males both very brightly coloured. Are they guarding eggs. If the 2nd fish is the female she is a cracking fish. Known also as macmasteri red shoulder.

Derek

sundragon

Sundragon Both fish in video look like males both very brightly coloured. Are they guarding eggs. If the 2nd fish is the female she is a cracking fish. Known also as macmasteri red shoulder.

Derek

She's a female because she displayed for the male constantly. I thought they were both males when I first got them because they were my first batch of Apistos - I have been told line bread females display as much color as the males.

Shahriar

Kruz

From experience, the "red neck" is a macmastei sold as a viejita.

I've bought them from Wet Spot, but shipping overnight is a killer.
Apistogramma viejita "Red Neck" 1.5-2" $15.00

Here's a link to the pair I bought as "viejita" red necks

How's it going guys. So I got my Apisto's from the Wet Spot. I was just there about two weeks ago hand picked them. I've been in contact with them for about a week before i got them. All they had where male's. They just got a shipment of them that day of new "Red Neck" and other fish. My pair and all of the Apisto's sold as "Red Neck" where very gold. there are not much red in them at all. Sundragon your fish look identical to the Macmastei at the Wet spot and other Macmastei. Your pair look bad ass not knocking that. I thank the Macmastei look alot more colorful ect.
What is Viejita Red Necks. Tank bred specimens. Or a different name for Macmasteri.

Derek

Derek form what i have found out that they are a Macmastei that have been selective breed. IMO they could have been also line breed with the Viejita. Most of the info on the "red necks" is here say.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
If you guys are getting them from Wetspot, then they are just A. macmasteri. I know exactly where the fish come from (the source)and have seen batches after batches of them. I was discussing the naming issue with the owner and he also acknowledged them as macmasteri, but since the name 'viejita red neck' can sell for more money than macmasteri, the name stays. Dont get me wrong, they are beautiful macmasteri, I just have issue with the general public confusing them as the viejita.

sundragon

How's it going guys. So I got my Apisto's from the Wet Spot. I was just there about two weeks ago hand picked them. I've been in contact with them for about a week before i got them. All they had where male's. They just got a shipment of them that day of new "Red Neck" and other fish. My pair and all of the Apisto's sold as "Red Neck" where very gold. there are not much red in them at all. Sundragon your fish look identical to the Macmastei at the Wet spot and other Macmastei. Your pair look bad ass not knocking that. I thank the Macmastei look alot more colorful ect.

Derek form what i have found out that they are a Macmastei that have been selective breed. IMO they could have been also line breed with the Viejita. Most of the info on the "red necks" is here say.

Haha! They were sold to me as Viejita red necks - I put the fish on here and was corrected that it's really a macmasteri. Regardless, it's beautiful.

Quick question: does Wet Spot have both macmasteri and viejita rednecks?

If I get another pair I may specify macmasteri - they just don't list macs on their stock list on the website.

If you guys are getting them from Wetspot, then they are just A. macmasteri. I know exactly where the fish come from (the source)and have seen batches after batches of them. I was discussing the naming issue with the owner and he also acknowledged them as macmasteri, but since the name 'viejita red neck' can sell for more money than macmasteri, the name stays. Dont get me wrong, they are beautiful macmasteri, I just have issue with the general public confusing them as the viejita.

I guess whatever sells - Can you tell me their source? I would love to know - I would also love to get another pair like these.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
I guess whatever sells - Can you tell me their source? I would love to know - I would also love to get another pair like these.

Sorry, information like that can never be disclosed in a public forum like this. All I can say is they are imported TR fish. I did check their website and it still says viejita red neck. So Wetspot just use the name that was given to them.

Kruz

Sorry, information like that can never be disclosed in a public forum like this. All I can say is they are imported TR fish. I did check their website and it still says viejita red neck. So Wetspot just use the name that was given to them.

I see ? Sundragon got his off the website I take it since he lives in D.C. (right). So I can see if his were sold to him as "Red Necks". I was just there in person. There "red necks" are nothing like them Macmastei . they look like this.

The Macmsatei they had are similar to Sundragon i am sure they come form the same whole seller. Mac were labeled as the Macmsatei, as they should. The Apisto's labeled as "Red Necks" is what you see above ect. I've only had them in the tank for about to weeks and still dropping the PH. So hopefully will be colored up better in a week are two. starting to do live food now so will see.

sundragon

I don't want any trade secrets, I just want to know what fish to specify when I order since I don't have the ability to see the fish beforehand when ordering from Wet Spot online.

As a neophyte hobbyist that's new to Apistos, I'm curious as to the fish sources, like most of you, I would like to learn the details about the fish I take care of :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

sundragon

I see ? Sundragon got his off the website I take it since he lives in D.C. (right). So I can see if his were sold to him as "Red Necks". I was just there in person. There "red necks" are nothing like them Macmastei . they look like this.

The Macmsatei they had are similar to Sundragon i am sure they come form the same whole seller. Mac were labeled as the Macmsatei, as they should. The Apisto's labeled as "Red Necks" is what you see above ect. I've only had them in the tank for about to weeks and still dropping the PH. So hopefully will be colored up better in a week are two. starting to do live food now so will see.

Thanks for the details, If I understood you properly, and I'll ask for Macmasteri instead of red necks as that's what I most likely own.

I have to say that the service and quality of livestock from Wetspot have been fantastic.

sundragon

I got my pair from them as well and they look identical to yours. Are you going to breed them?

It's a community tank so I'm not planning on breeding them but if they do have fry, I'll try to keep them and give them to friends and GWAPA/CCA members. The Hongsloi I have are also doing the mating dance so who knows.

Kruz

Haha! They were sold to me as Viejita red necks - I put the fish on here and was corrected that it's really a macmasteri. Regardless, it's beautiful.

Quick question: does Wet Spot have both macmasteri and viejita rednecks?

Yes that's what I've been saying this whole time.;)

Thanks for the details, If I understood you properly, and I'll ask for Macmasteri instead of red necks as that's what I most likely own.

I have to say that the service and quality of livestock from Wetspot have been fantastic.

I was just bringing it up because in the store there labeled like there suppose to be. But online Red necks are Mac's. Its all good though. I've been going there for some time now and good people knowledgeable in the fish game. I just thought its a funny way to do business ect.

sundragon

Yes that's what I've been saying this whole time.;)

I was just bringing it up because in the store there labeled like there suppose to be. But online Red necks are Mac's. Its all good though. I've been going there for some time now and good people knowledgeable in the fish game. I just thought its a funny way to do business ect.

Just wanted to make sure my reading comprehension was right.
They are really knowledgable. I assume these are line bread - what do the wild ones look like?

Kruz

To be truthful I don't think Red necks occur in the wild, They could have been line breed? But it's mostly selective breed sometime that's why its hard to distinguish male from female. Like your nice female very colorful for a female. So it could easily get mixed up as a juvenile fish, as a male. There trying to make them as colorful as they can.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….