• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma viejita form III

Saturn 5ive

viejita_form3_zpsde0fe8ed.jpg

Apistogramma viejita form III Wild caught male,

The lighting required for photograghy has muted the metalic sky blue color that covers the body and the lime green patch on the nape of the head. The black lower lip, red nose and black ventral fin spines are noteworthy features. During agressive displays, the males show the dark rectangular area on the abdomen.

Females show the distinctive "bug belly" markings as shown in Linke and Staeck's 1994 book.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Also known in the hobby as A. sp. Schwarzkehl/Black-throat. I prefer this name to 'A. viejita CF III because this is not a color form of A. viejita, but a separate species. Now if they only could bring back A. sp. Schwarzkehl-Rotflecken, a.k.a. 'A. viejita CF II'. That's the population I'd like to get!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Wow. What a beautiful fish. Mike, how do you keep track of all these names? Cichlid journals?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, I took over the species list for the Apistogramma Study Group in 1985 and have kept updating it as new info & species appeared. My sources are literature, web sites/fora, and fellow apistophiles. To be honest, periodical cichlid journals don't really have much in them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….