• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp. steel blue

A

acboals

I was wondering if anybody had any A. sp. steel blue females for sale or trade. I have recently aquired a few, but they appear to all be males.

Apistt_ed

One more stung by what seems to be a great big hoax. Sorry acboals, A. sp. Steelblue has been on the topic amongst hobbyists as to being a mysterious hybrid and there seems to be no trace of any females at all! maybe as the females are deformed and die off or what but, no one knows. The origin of the fish is still a mystery!! Many of us have seen it or heard it before... many of the females (seen for sale in the tanks) are males! No one really knows where or what happens to the females, only that they are either very very RARE or NON-EXISTANT! so, sorry but I don't think anyone would have a female at all.

A

acboals

sp. steel blue

Thanks for your reply. After posting I was able to read past post on this fish. It's pretty (pretty useless), so I'll just put in the planted show tank and walk away.

mervin

5 Year Member
yes, it may be a hydrid but it is also a rather beautiful fish with an interesting character.

enjoy it for what it is...

:wink:

amanda huggenkiss

5 Year Member
I agree, Mervin. I love my steel blues. They're very pretty fish, with good temperaments and personalities. If it turns out I have a pair, well yay for me. But if not, I'm still happy with what I've got. :wink:

Neil

acboals,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

It's pretty (pretty useless), so I'll just put in the planted show tank and walk away.

Don't walk right away. They still are quite attractive and interesting! If you ever find yourself a resticulosa, caetei or, possibly even, borellii female...you may have yourself a match. Although, I would not distribute babies from these potential matches as anything besides hybrids.

For now, Amanda has a good attitude:

I love my steel blues. They're very pretty fish, with good temperaments and personalities. If it turns out I have a pair, well yay for me. But if not, I'm still happy with what I've got.

There is always other Apistogramma species to breed!

Neil

A

acboals

Steel Blue

Thank you all for your replies. I do like these little fish and they are quite pretty. Too bad there are no females. Thanks again.

Aaron

herpchat

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your replies. I do like these little fish and they are quite pretty. Too bad there are no females. Thanks again.

Aaron

Two of our Aquarium Association Members have bred them and they say it produces a good number of females and they do have females.

As BAP chair I have to decide whether I can count it as a true species.

What do you all say?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
As BAP chair I have to decide whether I can count it as a true species.

What do you all say?

A. sp. Steel-blue just doesn't fit into any of the established species-complexes. It has mixes of features of both the caetei- and resticulosa-complexes. That, however, does not mean that it is absolutely positively a hybrid species. There is a species collected from the Rio Paru that has similar mixed features (A. sp. Paru A25).

When I was a BAP chair and had this problem, I would credit the breeder with breeding the fish, but put an "*" or "0" for points. In this way, if the fish does turn out to be a valid species, the breeder can get credit for the fish retroactively. This was especially important for all of the color morphs of what were once called "Pseudotropheus zebra", and now are several different species in their own right.

P.W.

5 Year Member

Aaron

No worries mate! There are plenty of steelblue females out there! Check this thread:

http://forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=3552

Some photos of steelblue females and females with wigglers etc. here also!

Take care of your steel blues! It´s one of the most prettiest apisto "species"
Regarding the "Hybrid" discussion....You never know, maybe we´re in for a surprise in the future? ;)

Best regards/ Per

bangme33

5 Year Member
steel blue apisto

hi all i have got a pair of apisto steel blue, plus 2 lots of young in my breeding tank,the females seem to be hard to find or the eggs she lays produces more males ,they are a lovely fish only time i get any trouble from them is at breeding time. but apart from that nothing at all, good fish to have,great addition to the planted tank:):):):):)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….