• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp. Schwarzkehl

chris1805

5 Year Member
Hi all,

In January i've acquired a pair of Apistogramma sp. Schwarzkehl for Roland Kipper. I was wondering, if any one had experience with their growth? I've a feeling mine are growing quite slowly and i don't know why. The temp is set at 24-25 degrees celcius, i do weekly water changes ranging from 30-50% and I try to feed twice a daily, but they get fed atleast once a day. I feed various type of foods, 2 types of granulates, 1 type of flake food and everyday they get frozen brine shrimp, the second feed is one of the dry foods.

Could it be that this is just a slow growing species, am I doing something wrong, or latest option, am I impatient once again?

Kind regards,
Christian

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've found that some apisto species do grow faster than others. I haven't kept Schwarzkehl since the late 1980s but I don't recall them being slow grower, just average. If you want them to grow a bit faster, I'd suggest a slightly warmer temperature and a diet of mostly live and frozen foods.

chris1805

5 Year Member
I had the opportunity to take some pictures today.
F9AC596B-AE76-4804-9731-7D2900BDE408.jpeg
F8686926-7E51-4A1E-9AFB-1DD8328FAD3C.jpeg
FCC2C2D7-BD90-4C06-BA39-0C7C349B00DF.jpeg
7CADECF9-E629-43D7-81F6-8A6ADD99B844.jpeg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….