• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma kullanderi

mathew

Hi, I am just trying to get some input on how much kullanderi are worth? As juvies and maybe sexed pairs. Thanks

MacZ

Retail: Wild caught 80€ a piece, tankbred half of that.
Wholesale: Less than 1/3 of the above.

mathew

Retail: Wild caught 80€ a piece, tankbred half of that.
Wholesale: Less than 1/3
I can't find any for sale online in the US. But some sites that have had them in the past sold for $450 a pair and the other site sold unsexed for $200 each. Wouldn't that make them more expensive sense they are so uncommon in the hobby?

MacZ

Seems they are less uncommon on our side of the pond. Although 80,- is still 2-4 times of what you pay for common fish here.

Last edited:

mathew

Why are they never getting imported? I have never seen them on anyone's list. And like I just mentioned I don't know anyone or any online store that even has them. They are a beautiful fish and I don't understand why they aren't being brought in.

Apistoguy52

Why are they never getting imported? I have never seen them on anyone's list. And like I just mentioned I don't know anyone or any online store that even has them. They are a beautiful fish and I don't understand why they aren't being brought in.
They get collected in the middle of nowhere (export infrastructure wise), they can’t possibly be on the whitelist, and the 7 Americans who were willing to pay silly money for them all got them a couple years ago.

mathew

They get collected in the middle of nowhere (export infrastructure wise), they can’t possibly be on the whitelist, and the 7 Americans who were willing to pay silly money for them all got them a couple years ago.
I actually have a group of them and am just trying to get some information on them. I did some grading awhile back from this guy I found in Craigslist. He got them by accident a few years ago instead of the fish he ordered.

anewbie

Vaguely I think i saw some for sale last year for around $50 or $60 a pair but i didn't pay attention to the details; redblue list them for $200 (not in stock) but that store is usually 2x to 3x as most places i've seen. In 2017 aquabid shows that a pair sold for $600. Hum. Never bid on a fish; the price just goes up and up and up. 5 years ago a pair was advertised for $450 on facebook. 4 years a store was selling unsex specimen for $250 each.

You know what they are worth is what someone is willing to pay for them. The most i've paid for a single fish my entire life was ~$85 and that was for a fish that was misidentified. I think the most i've paid for a dwarf cichild is around $70 for a pair.

I guess my question to you is what are they worth to you ? Just remember sometime wanting is worth more than having. Of course in your case you have them so maybe just put them up for a bidding.
-
a store in vancouver is listing them for $75 canadian. Oddly enough i ahve a trip to vancouver in June; sadly i don't think i'm looking for more fishes as all my aquarium are comfortably stocked.

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A little history on this species. Ever since the first photos of just caught A. kullanderi (=A. sp. Gigas) appeared on line, aquarists begged to get them into the hobby. Brazilian exporters sent collectors to the Rio Curuá in the upper Rio Xingu to collect some. The fish brought back came from the same general area but not exactly the original collecting locale it seems. About a dozen pairs of the fish were exported to a German importer who quickly sold them for €4.000/pair. I was contacted by a Swedish aquarist who got photos of the fish. They didn't look exactly like to fish first shown on line. He asked me what I thought. Looking at the photos I immediately realized that they were not A. sp. Gigas. The females especially were completely different and the males showed faint rows of spots over the entire caudal (not seen on A. kullanderi), no prominent abdominal stripes and a much blunter nose. In many respects these fish resembled more closely A. sp. Peixoto and/or A. sp. Teles Pires that are known for the same general area. Interestingly offspring of the fish from this import never appeared in the hobby and as far as I know these fish never were mentioned in the hobby literature.

The second import of A. kullanderi were collected in the original collecting locale and were shipped to importers in Asia and Europe where they were reproduced and had 'selective' distribution. I know that Jeff at Aquaticlarity got some from a German source about 5 years ago, but I doubt that he has them now.

Wildcaught A. kullanderi are rarely available, as Apistoguy52 wrote, because of their isolated distribution and because Brazil is very selective about which fish can be exported. A. kullanderi was originally collected by a group of scientists sent to the area to study the environmental impact of any potential hydorelectric dam that might be built in the future. As you might imagine Brazil is not interested in making such a location a focal point for fish collecting. Instead its white list emphasizes other areas like the Rio Nego.

Wrothgar

I actually have a group of them and am just trying to get some information on them. I did some grading awhile back from this guy I found in Craigslist. He got them by accident a few years ago instead of the fish he ordered.
I made an account just to ask you, are you selling any?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….