• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma id's

Erik82

5 Year Member
Hi All,
a few weeks ago I imported some Apistogramma. The were caught arround Rio Orinoco. most of them are possibel A. iniridae. But some of them I can not Identify. Can some help me on the fish below? It looks like a A. Iniridae but the shhape of the
Fish 1
Apistopgramma_cf_iniridae_wildmale_zps7726055e.jpg

Apistopgramma_cf_iniridae_wildmalefoto2_zps811a08db.jpg

Fish 2 (my thoughts are A. inirade male...?)
Apistogramma_cfiniridae_male_wild_zps10ff5e11.jpg

Apistogramma_cfiniridae_male_wild_foto2_zps2a3944e0.jpg

Also some fish I got from the LFS. I realy don't know what kind of fish it is. They look like a normall A. baenschi but I not sure about that. Also the look like females but together they have typical male-female behaviour. Can someone help me on Idintify the A. cf. beanschii? Are they only females or is there one male that forgot he's an male :)
Apistogrammabeanschii6_zps514cd8d3.jpg

Apistogrammabeanschii5_zps81c3491f.jpg

Apistogrammabeanschii4_zps1bb895a4.jpg

Apistogrammabeanschii3_zps84e918fc.jpg

Apistogrammabeanschii2_zps6e47fd1f.jpg

Apistogrammabeanschii_zps671226ee.jpg

Regards,
Erik

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Erik..

I believe your cf. baenschi looks like they are all females..
My experience with breeding Ap. baenschi is that they look very specific "male" or "female" at an early stage in life..(1-2cm)
However..I have seen pale wild specimens in my Local Fish Store..

But the massive black in the ventral fins+the dorsal.. and the black bars on the sides of the body are often so typical on baenschi females.. much more blue if they are males...
I have changed the water temp several times to get an acceptable ratio between males/females when breeding...

My LFS owner said that he often got only females ( 1:9/2:8 , male:female ) or the other way around.. several times when purchasing 10 wild Apistos...!!
Not an ideal situation...:(

I hope you can get some males from where you got the other ones ...or that my gender ID is totaly wrong..!!:rolleyes::oops:

Good luck!!

/MickeM

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Fish 1 looks like a typical A. iniridae to me. Fish 2 doesn't show many diagnostic features in the photo. My guess right now is that it's a young male (based on length of ventrals and prominence of caudal pattern) of an iniridae-group species. Which species, I can't say from these 2 photos (and the possible lack of maturity of the fish).

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvashave

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….