• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma eremnopyge

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi,
I've got a wild pair of the above on their way to me and have read all I can find on the internet about them and am now looking to see if any of you guys will share any of your expertise with me!

They will be going into a 140l tank (36"x18"x18"). It's got an ancient (but very reliable (it'll break now!) Fluval 203 filter, lots of plants, big lumps of bogwood and split slate siliconed to the back and sides for a backdrop. Substrate is sand and the water is re-minerlaised RO water (pH 6.5, KH 2, GH 2, Nitrite <0.3mg/l, Nitrate <12.5mg/l)
Current occupants are 8 cardinal tetras, 2 diamond tetras, 2 Ancistrus plus babies and 2 male Nanochromis sabinae (with two females on the way too!).
Coming with the Apistogrammas are 12 Nannostomus eques, and I may move the diamonds and cardinals into another tank.

Any ideas/comments/advice will be very much appreciated! I am planning to treat them just like the other Apisto's i have kept, until i hear otherwise! :biggrin:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They should be OK in your tank, but may have problems if the N. sabinae pair off & want to breed (2 fish against 1). Don't expect much success in breeding any of the cichlids in this tank. It has too many territorial species competing for bottom areas. Any spawns that do occur will probably be consumed by the cardinal tetras. They are very efficient at eating small fry. The N. sabinae might have a slight advantage, since there are 2 protecting the fry.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've always kept cardinals with dwarfs and never noticed a lot of predation. Had Apistgramma nijsenni breed succesfully and raise brood of over 40 in their with various tetras, including diamond tetras and cardinals. The parents are good at keeping them at a fair distance in my experience!
My Pelvicachromis subocellatus raised 3 broods (biggest 83!) in a two foot with 10 cardinals and 6 Glowlights.

I will keep a close eye on the space issue. The nanos are tiny at the mo and i will move a pair of nanos out of this tank when they pair. If the remaining pair of Nanos are too much for the Apistos then i can give them their own tank too.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your Nanochromis & A. nijsseni form pairs when breeding. A. eremnopyge is a polygamous harem breeder. The male does not defend the fry. This is the sole concern of the female. Cardinal tetras come from waters with little food & this is one of their methods for finding food. A Cardinal will take one of the fry. While the female will chase it off there is no one left to guard the remaining fry. By the time she returns to the brood the rest of the cardinals will have taken some of the fry. The number of fry just dwindles as the days go by. If the fry are well covered by dense plantings, there is a better chance of some surviving. After a week or 2 the apisto fry should be too large for the cardinals.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Right, thanks Mike.
Will keep an eye on things and if they disappear will move the cardinals. Actually got 12 Nannostomus eques coming with the Apistos so might move the teras to another tank before they breed! Can't see pencilfish being able to polish off even newly free-swimming fry. Am i right? Anyone tried this combo?
Will a male haremic apisto not chase fish away from his territory then? Are they purely concerned with competing males and breeding with females?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Pencilfish are ideal with breeding dwarf cichlids. Harem males are only interested in other bottom-dwelling fish, particularly other cichlids. Fish swimming above their territory are not considered a threat to taking the male's territory.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Pencilfish are ideal with breeding dwarf cichlids. Harem males are only interested in other bottom-dwelling fish, particularly other cichlids. Fish swimming above their territory are not considered a threat to taking the male's territory.

Cheers Mike. Thanks for all your advice.:cool:

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
The pair arrived and they are HUGE! Well compared to the tiny little Nanochromis they are sharing the tank with.
Going to start getting them fed up on lots of frozen food and see if i can encourage them to get a brood going! I'm sure it won't be that straightforward (it never is, is it?!!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….