• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Eremnopyge

chris1805

5 Year Member
Hi Guys!

I currently have a young pair of Apistogramma Eremnopyge that still need to mature some more and colour up some more. Now i am quite doubting about the diet i feed them. I feed frozen artemia (brine shrimp) and frozen " bosmiden" and some granulates from dennerle. I am in doubt wheter or not i should feed them also frozen bloodworms or any other frozen type of worms.

I am also wondering about how many times a day i should feed my fish, i feed them once a day but am wondering wheter feeding twice a day would stimulate their growth, or if feeding my fish twice a day will lead to fat fish instead of normal growing fish.

I am also thinking about the water changes, it's a 60L tank and i about 10L water changes a week, would it enhance their growth and overal well being if i would do a 5L water changes every 3 days, or should i do bigger water changes instead of more frequent?

I am looking forward to your opinions/idea's :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I find only 1 problem with name-brand frozen foods. It must not be allowed to thaw at any time before feeding to your fish. If you buy your frozen foods from a shop that makes certain it is always in the best condition, any frozen foods from name-brand suppliers should be fine if the fish eat it. I personally prefer to use more live foods like newly hatched brine shrimp and use frozen foods as a supplement. My apistos do not eat dry foods well so I don't use it for them. I try to feed 2X per day and often allow the fish to fast on 1 day each week. The exception is for fry. They are fed several times per day. Most people over-feed their fish, which results in obese fish and/or dirty tanks.
Tank maintenance depends of the number of fish/volume of the tank and if overfeeding occurs. I would suggest a larger (25%) water change every week or 2, depending on above. For A. eremnopyge, a blackwater species, I would use water that has been conditioned to a lower pH and soft. Hope this helps.

chris1805

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot for all the information about the food mike! Here i have some pics of my pair, do you guys think the females is a real female? The female is the first 2 photo's and the male is the last 2 photo's.
IMG_7424.JPG
IMG_7423.JPG
IMG_7419.JPG
IMG_7416.JPG

MickeM

5 Year Member
It is hard to tell from these pics and at this size/age.. (Female.. pic 1+2????????)

My young females of eremnopyge have got a more yellow color than the males..and lacking the red color on the gill covers..
They(my fishes) also shows some thin black markings in the first(shorter) spines of the pelvic fins ..
Males tend/start to get blue/turquoise at a quite small size..(at least if you are highlighting their bodies with an extra lamp/lightsource..!!)
..and they often get some colorpatterns at the caudal fin.. ( lyretail) + dorsalfin extensions and red color at "the base" of the dorsal fin/spines... (as your male shows!!)

If you can support the "female" with some extra food , you will probably soon know what "she" is.....:)
(I often feed my fishes with the help of a plastic pipette..then you can distribute the thawed food in an easy way!!)

chris1805

5 Year Member
my female was quite yellow in the shop, but lost all of it as soon as she was in my tank with the male. I should indeed look for such a plastic pipette, even though the fish are still not showing themselfs very often. They like it in between the wood.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….