• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Double Red Flashing Another Female

DanielG

A little back story:

I had a male/female pair of 'Double Reds' in my tank for a while. One particular morning I decided I was going to dose some dry KNO3 to get the levels back up. Well, the male apisto found himself dashing in and out of the cloud of nutrients I just dropped in the water, and within about 5 minutes he was visibly shaken up. He began swimming sideways, upside down, you name it. Within 40 minutes he was dead...

So the remaining occupants: 7 neon tetras, a 'Tefe' female, and the 'Double Red' female. After the male passed, the peace between the two females seemed to be at an all time high. Both fish would swim together, hangout and do the likes. Until today...now, I did do an evaporation top off with arguably warmer water....and this is what I found:

IMG_2766_zpsb04227c5.jpg

IMG_2768_zps54281c21.jpg

IMG_2764_zps02cc9fc7.jpg

IMG_2762_zps17cadf44.jpg

Hmmm......

DanielG

Apistogrammas = cichlid; cichlid = territorial. Females hoping for a male to appear???
It would appear so. I had a double red male in there but the tefe female wanted nothing to do with him. As of now, my LFS wants $45 for a double red pair...not something I want to do now because its a 20 gallon tank, and having 4 apisto's in it may cause some territory issues. It was hard enough having just the three in there.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Did you go check out Aquarium Co-op, there should be a bunch of double red males there.

DanielG

Did you go check out Aquarium Co-op, there should be a bunch of double red males there.
Actually, just checked with them today. It would seem they have a number of 'Double Red' males available. I went ahead and bought one from them that it expected to ship out tomorrow. Will post a pic when he arrives!

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
I'm surprised the Co-Op would come up in a search, they are very new. Just over 6 months open if I remember right.

DanielG - I'm surprised Clark's didn't have them or get them in. They seemed to have everything plus the kitchen sink last time I was there (granted a few years ago).

DanielG

Long story short....I purchased a 'Double Red' apisto from Aquarium Co-op out of Edmonds. The fish itself was only $10.99 and shipping came to $13. Great looking fish.

I had a Tefe and a 'Double Red' female in the tank. When I received the 'Double Red'...in fact...I'm not calling them Double Red's anymore, according to this chart: She is just a red. The male I received is a Alenquer based on the appearance of the white stripe around the outside of the tail fin. I placed the Tefe in the 5 gallon I have in the kitchen tank to allow the Alenquer male to settle in with the 'red' female. Well, within an hour and a half I came to the kitchen to find that she committed fishy-suicide. Damn!
15a6cbf5d4e6efe51215d28a62d70f20.jpg

DanielG

I'm surprised the Co-Op would come up in a search, they are very new. Just over 6 months open if I remember right.

DanielG - I'm surprised Clark's didn't have them or get them in. They seemed to have everything plus the kitchen sink last time I was there (granted a few years ago).

Most of the time they do, if you're willing to pay. I've bought quite a few apisto's from them due to mistakes of my own. But after doing some research I've found that I can find them elsewhere, and generally for cheaper.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Daniel, first rule of forum etiquette, is "do not to copy and use other people's data with out permission". If you need to reference something, then copy the URL and add it to your post. This is a picture that I produced for an article on http://mtfb.com/MTFBJuly2005/JULY2005pagesIMAGES/105wisearticle2.htm. If people want to read it or see the chart, I recommend that they go there. If I was really upset about you using it, I'd delete it.;) Not everyone is so forgiving. This is for the protection of the forum as much as the one who posts.

Now for you and everyone else, if you look at the title of the chart, nowhere does it say anything about using caudal pattern for identifying different forms of A. agassizii by only looking at the caudal pattern. It can't be done. It is only useful if used in addition to other characteristics of the body shape, dark markings, finnage, etc. Now all of the photos used for the chart are from wild populations. I have seen domestic double red aggies with similar red tails - and A. sp. Tefé with long pointed caudals just like A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Net) from Alenquer. You probably had a double red pair if the dorsal fin of the male was also red. A. sp. Tefé really depends on the markings on the body more than the fins, so I can't say what you have as a female. Glad you found the fish you wanted.

DanielG

Daniel, first rule of forum etiquette, is "do not to copy and use other people's data with out permission". If you need to reference something, then copy the URL and add it to your post. This is a picture that I produced for an article on http://mtfb.com/MTFBJuly2005/JULY2005pagesIMAGES/105wisearticle2.htm. If people want to read it or see the chart, I recommend that they go there. If I was really upset about you using it, I'd delete it.;) Not everyone is so forgiving. This is for the protection of the forum as much as the one who posts.

Now for you and everyone else, if you look at the title of the chart, nowhere does it say anything about using caudal pattern for identifying different forms of A. agassizii by only looking at the caudal pattern. It can't be done. It is only useful if used in addition to other characteristics of the body shape, dark markings, finnage, etc. Now all of the photos used for the chart are from wild populations. I have seen domestic double red aggies with similar red tails - and A. sp. Tefé with long pointed caudals just like A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Net) from Alenquer. You probably had a double red pair if the dorsal fin of the male was also red. A. sp. Tefé really depends on the markings on the body more than the fins, so I can't say what you have as a female. Glad you found the fish you wanted.

Understood, thanks for the heads up regarding the posts.

The tefe female I couldn't really place on your chart anywhere, which is why I didn't bother to mention her according to your chart. I know that the fish I have are agassizii, which is why I referenced your chart given the title: "Caudal Fin Patterns of Different Population of Apistogramma agassizii". I was merely trying to place them into a population. I do acknowledge your point that one cannot classify a fish based solely on the caudal fin.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sadly, after keeping this population since 1998, I lost my last female. Now only have 2 males. The males will be going into my 'retirement tank' and never used for breeding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….