• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cacatuoides male aggression

MitchNichols

Hi is it normal for my apistogramma cacatuoides male to thrash around a little and warn off other fish? Whats the reasoning behind it?

Cheers

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apistos are a typical cichlid. They are territorial by nature. In a tank with few/no territorial boundaries (like your 90 L) the dominant cichlid will consider the entire tank as its territory.

peterclarke666

5 Year Member
heya mitch if you'd like to chat on apistos im only down the road from u in chesterfield and have a 22 tank fish room devoted to apistos, or have a read up of my apisto feature in febuarys issue of practical fish keeping magazine, but to start with the male will claim his territory as will the female, looking for somewhere to eventually spawn, cacatuoides are my favorite apisto

MitchNichols

How can I make it more cichlid friendly? Can you give some ideas please :)? And peter that would be amazing if you dont mind! I shall pm you. And yeh there immence fish

peterclarke666

5 Year Member
well from having seen your pics from another post id prob loose the stones, shells etc in the tank as will raise ph, tds and gh and kh but as per rest of your setup i cant see much of it to say but this is one of my setups

PFK133047_zps9d3159d6.jpg

PFK133058_zps6538ce4b.jpg

Dano1311

Hi is it normal for my apistogramma cacatuoides male to thrash around a little and warn off other fish? Whats the reasoning behind it?

Cheers
Just keep and eye on them mitch, as i ahd male aggression which resulted in the femlae loosing all of her dorsal fin (which has since grown back) and the male loosing some of his lovely red finnage, which has grown back but normal clear none coloured :( i ended up having to take the male out for a week or so to give her time to rest/recover.

Im only down road from pete to so if you ever need owt Apisto related and pete by chance hasnt got it to help you, let me know and i see if i can help :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….