• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Agassizi Spawn

kaitlyn19

Hey all! Si I have posted on here before about my fire red agassizi, trying to sex it.. I thought it was a female but it was sold to me as a male. Anyways.. I went with my gut and bought a male while in London for the auction the other weekend. Beautiful double red male to go with my beautiful fire red female. Well about 2 days of them being in my apistogramma breeder tank there was eggs..

Me and my hubby decided to leave her to do her thing. And of course... like most young apistos the eggs were gone at the 2 day mark. Most likely eaten by the female. We really want to breed this fire red so we left them in there. Its been about a week and she has laid eggs again! We found them while doing a water change last night. This time we decided to put the eggs in our little live barer birthing tank ( a 2.5 gallon betta tank with drilled holes, hangs on the side of the tank). Took forever to get the female out of the clay hut but we got her out. We didn't want to disturb the eggs to much so we just put the hole cave in the hang off tank. Boy was she not happy when she got back in the tank to see her eggs were gone. We plan to just leave them to learn how to parent now, we just wanted to try and have a successful batch before they get too old. (as you know apisto's don't live too long and these two are probably at the year mark right now).
Anyways... we have them in there with our huge moss ball. They were laid sometime yesterday and the tank temp is 81-82. When should I expect them to become wigglers? About 48 hours?
Right now they are just sitting in the hang on tank.. in the original water they were laid in. Should I add a air stone to it? We added a drop of methane blue last night and we have been using a small cup to poor fresh water over the eggs every few hours, similar to what the mother does to the eggs (fans them with fresh water). Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.

uberape

I wouldnt have taken them out.If your female is just getting the hang of things, I think she will end up doing a better job than we can. I think it also helps the fry who learn from commands when they're young (must bully dither fish). My agassizi were great parents although the male might eat a few fry so you can get rid of him. If they hatch; kudos, and if you get the fry to survive again; kudos. But I would have left it to mother nature

kaitlyn19

Yeah the only reason we took them out is because we have NEVER had a successful spawn.. ever. The parents always eat them. Been maybe 40 spawns and they always get eaten. Were just sick of it and want to try and see if this works. I know its a lot harder but hey they would have got eaten anyways

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….