• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma agassizi 'Double Red' Spawning!

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Just thought I'd share a few pics with you! They aren't the best in the world as I didn't want to disturb them too much in the act!
IMG_0008-1.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011-2.jpg

I haven't had the best luck with agassizi and lost the original male when I bought a trio. I bought a replacement pair and it is these two that have spawned. This female was the bottom of the pile so hopefully the spawning will give her the guts to keep the other two girls in their place!!! She's certainly keeping the male in check now as this very blurry picture shows!
IMG_0012-1.jpg

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nice one mate, the tanks looking good as per usual..Hope they manage to fend off the other fish!!

Cheers mate. All she's got to chase off, apart from the other agassizi are some Lampeyes, Pencilfish and Aphyosemion bivittatum 'Funge' so she's got a pretty good chance! If there's any problems I shall pull the other Apistos!

The tank's just had a bit of a major trim and looks like this now,
IMG_0028.jpg

ste12000

5 Year Member
Stunning mate..I think you will be interested in the BCA's spring convention!!! details are almost all ironed out so ill let you know, Midlands location and Bernd Degan the discus expert is giving a talk on Discus in the planted aquarium!! I certainly hope we can finally meet up there..Plenty of nice fish in the auction aswel..

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Stunning mate..I think you will be interested in the BCA's spring convention!!! details are almost all ironed out so ill let you know, Midlands location and Bernd Degan the discus expert is giving a talk on Discus in the planted aquarium!! I certainly hope we can finally meet up there..Plenty of nice fish in the auction aswel..

Sounds good mate, let me know. I really ought to rejoin the BCA! Bad news on the Super Reds BTW. Female was killed my the male and the male has now disappeared from my other 3ft tank! I'm hoping he's just hiding somewhere in amongst all the plants and wood.

ste12000

5 Year Member
Well if you do rejoin give me a shout, im on the committee now as membership secretary..Ill take your money off you:biggrin:

Gutted about the Aggies..What sexes are you left with now?? its sods law with dwarfs, i bought three pairs of wild aggies from Peru last month, one female died, another turned out to be a crossdressing male, luckily the third is a female and ive got a spawn due to be freeswimming any day soon..hopefully ill have enough in the bank to keep them going..

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well if you do rejoin give me a shout, im on the committee now as membership secretary..Ill take your money off you:biggrin:

Gutted about the Aggies..What sexes are you left with now?? its sods law with dwarfs, i bought three pairs of wild aggies from Peru last month, one female died, another turned out to be a crossdressing male, luckily the third is a female and ive got a spawn due to be freeswimming any day soon..hopefully ill have enough in the bank to keep them going..

Not aggies mate, the Super Red kribs! Should have been more detailed sorry!

But I spoke too soon about these Double reds too, the female abandoned the cave either due to the male aggression (he's still beating her and the other two up now!) or my photography! I've taken a step I never normally do and removed the cave. There's only about a dozen eggs so I think taking the photos disturbed them. They're in a tub of their own near my tubs of killi fry with an airline in.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well the eggs proved to be infertile unfortunately and didn't survive.

On the up side the little male Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Super Red' was hiding in the filter, unharmed, and is colouring up nicely Ste! As I've lost the female maybe we could do a straight cross with one of your colourful Albino females? I have the tank space... :biggrin:

ste12000

5 Year Member
Unlucky mate, perhaps you should dig out a spare breeding tank and give them their own space? Mine brought these out today :biggrin:
DSCF5890.jpg

DSCF0979.jpg

These are wilds from Peru, ive been told from the same location as A.panduro that was shipped in at the same time?? these did come from a shop though so im not 100% sure of that although they are certainly wild fish? as i said earlier this is the only surviving female so im glad they've started spawning for me..

The kribs are yours mate, i moved the adults on a while back because i needed the breeding tank for another project, ive got around 50 that are growing on quickly, ill send you 5-6 up..Just get in touch to sort it out..

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Cheers mate, I'll send you an e-mail when I'm back at school and we can sort out a good date! I'm finding these aggies very aggressive but might have to try the solo breeding tank idea if they don't sort it out in here.

leamos

5 Year Member
I like the idea of two substrates and merging the two environments, looks great

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I like the idea of two substrates and merging the two environments, looks great

Thanks very much. It was done primarily for the effect and the plants rather than for the fish really. The background substrate is Aquasoil which softens the water and provides nutrients for the plants whereas the sand at the front is finer for a beach-like effect. When I originally planned the tank it was going to contain some Pelvicachromis taeniatus but they would have ate the shrimp and dug up some of the foreground plants I think.

Anyway the fish seem to like it as another female is sitting with eggs. She's top of the pecking order amongst the females and seems more successful than the last who was bottom of the pecking order so far anyway. I wasn't mentioning it in case I jinxed it and I'm certainly not chancing it with any pictures this time!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….