• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto ID

Porcupine

Hey all,

I picked up an Apistogramma Agassizii a couple weeks ago without knowing much about them, but I have grown to like this one quite a bit and have decided I want to get a couple more friends for him/her. I was wondering if you could tell me which sex it is. I figure it's a female since the colors are relatively dull, but I was told that they don't really show much color when they are alone anyway, so I thought I'd check. Also, I was wondering if this one belongs to the "Double-Red" species. Thanks for your help!

Here are some pics:

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/415/dsc00970ry.jpg
http://img852.imageshack.us/i/dsc00972s.jpg
http://img696.imageshack.us/i/dsc00962z.jpg

gerald

5 Year Member
I'd say that's a male, based on the tail color and pointed shape, dorsal fin extension, and amount of blue on the head & body. Color will increase as he matures, regardless of whether he's with a female or not. Others may chime in on which color variety, but if it's not either a wild fish (from known locality) or from a breeder who segregates local varieties, then it could well me a domestic mix of different "aggie-complex" varieties.

Porcupine

Thanks for the response. That's interesting. So you don't think the lack of color is due to the fact that he is alone, more just because he is juvenile? So at this point, knowing it's a male, I should probably get two or three females, right? Thanks

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree that the pictured fish is a male.

What size tank is he in? If it's a 36" long tank or bigger 3 females would be great.

Porcupine

Thanks. He's in a 33 gallon that is 36" long exactly. If there are less than three females, would the male just likely bother the other two too often?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This male agassizii doesn't appear to be a domestic bred double red strain. If it is, then it is a very poor representative. It looks more like a wild specimen with red in parts of the fins. I have seen many different wild populations like this. I do find it interesting (but not entirely unusual) to see the fish show such a prominent stripe below the lateral band. On most populations of A. agassizii, one does not see the stripe or it is extremely faint.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….