• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto ID please :))

Amy D

Just picked this guy up today and just need a little help on his ID. He was labeled as a wild Cacatuoides but he sure looks more like my other wild apisto that we guessed was Eunotus rather than my wild Cacatuoides I have already. Any input would be much appreciated :)
20160618_161947.jpg
20160618_161845.jpg
20160618_161727.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not Steel-blue nor a Pebas/ortegai-subcomplex. Note the split Bar 6 below the lateral band. This is a diagnostic feature on species of the eunotus-subcomplex. The fish is one of the many populations/forms of A. cf. eunotus (Schwanzstreifen/Tail-stripes) A77.

Tom C

5 Year Member
This fish has a slightly serrated, dorsal fin, rounded caudal fin colored orange in parts, an orange spot at the insertion of the pectoral fin (characteristic of the A.-eunotus-subcomplex), split vertical bars 5 and 6, pearlescent blue inside the caudal spot, and a blue gil cover.

To me all this point at one of the many forms of Apistogramma cf. eunotus.

Edit: Haha, Mike replied while I was writing... :)

Amy D

Hooray I was right! Thanks for clarifying guys :) I was pretty positive he was not a Cacatuoides like he was labeled but I wanted the bugger anyway. I just got lucky in guessing it was Eunotus because it looked similar to my younger wild one I picked up a while back. Thanks again :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
FYI it's not A. eunotus, which probably hasn't been in the hobby for 30+ years. It's a related species - and it might not be the same form as your first fish. The eunotus-complex is a mess right now; needs a LOT of work.

Amy D

I'm aware. When I have nothing better to do I go read all the previous ID posts and have seen you point that out many times. :) I do see some subtle differences in the 2 I have. The new one is much prettier haha. Although my first one is a bit younger and smaller so he could grow into it. Its fascinating watching them come into their flowy fins and colors. My Borelli's seem to be the slowest growing fish I've ever had. They're showing enough finnage and color to tell they're males now but man they haven't grown much in the couple of months I've had them. I'm going to be moving soon and I can already see more tanks and more Apistogrammas in my near future. These guys are addicting! :)

Jelle Touwen

5 Year Member
Well, for me a girlfriend (still) helps. Only 2 tanks in our house ( and a couple more at a friends house).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….