• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto cool down

abrooks12376

Hey all, been a while. I have a male macmasteri and male abacaxis hanging with a pair of geophagus. They all get along fine. Anyways these type geos require a cool down in The fall/winter months. Imade going to unplug the heater and let tank fall with roomtemp. Basement so it gets down to 68 lowest. Do we think the apisto will do ok or should I consider moving them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They'll 'probably' handle it. 20°C/68°F is still above their lower lethal limit, temperature-wise. Still, their metabolism will slow to a great extent, which can lead to them being more susceptible to illnesses.

abrooks12376

Sounds like it's probably not worth chancing. While I have your attention, do you have any experience with geo. "El norte"?

Siggi

The catchments from where most apistogrammas come from (I mean the wild and not farm bred) are pretty constant in temperatures all year round - seasonal variation is more in drainage and hence water properties such as suspended load and acidity than in thermal variation.
Although A. macmasteri is mostly a colombian apisto and I'm not so sure about thermal regimes in the llanos of central and northern Colombia.
If you had a borelli I wouldn't hesitate in saying you could let them cool down quite a bit - with the macmasteri I wouldn't push the temps to much...

abrooks12376

Excellent info. Thanks sig! These are like the old guys hanging on the farm. I suppose it's time to find them some ladies and set them up in a new home.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….