• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone ever use breeder net in the tank for fry

libasci

5 Year Member
Ok I have pair of Yellow / White Caucatodies and a pair of Viejita's that share a 12 gallon nano cube with two oto's and pair of pencil fish.

The yellow cac's breed quite easily but the babies seem to disapear right after the wiggler stage just when they start to swim around.

She lays the eggs in a capped 4-5 inch long 3/4 inch pvc pipe.

I was thinking of buying a breeder net for the babies and putting the pipe in there with the babies and no mom. This would give them full filtration in a tank with lots of plants versus a new sterile tank.

I have the same problem with the Vieijita's except I have never seen them hatch. I just have bright orange / red / pink eggs.

Currently the Cacs have wigglers and Viejitas have eggs but I have never gone past this stage with out them all disappearing.

Suggestions

Apistt_ed

libasci said:
Ok I have pair of Yellow / White Caucatodies and a pair of Viejita's that share a 12 gallon nano cube with two oto's and pair of pencil fish.

The yellow cac's breed quite easily but the babies seem to disapear right after the wiggler stage just when they start to swim around.

She lays the eggs in a capped 4-5 inch long 3/4 inch pvc pipe.

I was thinking of buying a breeder net for the babies and putting the pipe in there with the babies and no mom. This would give them full filtration in a tank with lots of plants versus a new sterile tank.

I have the same problem with the Vieijita's except I have never seen them hatch. I just have bright orange / red / pink eggs.

Currently the Cacs have wigglers and Viejitas have eggs but I have never gone past this stage with out them all disappearing.

Suggestions
Hello, I've actually done that a few times with my fish in a 90gallon community tank. I had corys in there with a pair of trifasciatas, cacatuoides, aggies, and random killies. I kept on losing fry, so I eventually placed a fine mesh breeder cube over the fry and they did fine till they were free from predation. the only problem I encountered was cleaning the material in the cube from feedings and during water changes... this can get dirty... so slow growing apisto fry wouldn't do so well, in my opinion. hope this helps... cheers.. john

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChrisJ

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….