• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another White Blemish: A. cacatuoides

Mud Pie Mama

5 Year Member
I was going to add this to maniac's post "Possible Fungal Infection", but didn't want to highjack the thread:
http://forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=7662

I don't know if this is the same or different. The photo looks a lot like my one fish when I first received him. As a further point of info & reference I'll share my recent saga. I had some A. cacatuoides "Triple Reds", received first of March 08, (from a 'reputable' breeder I may add,) that one came in w/ a raised, white blemish.

After some investigation, I thought I was dealing w/ a case of viral Lymphocystis. Most of my references stated it is self-limiting and no treatment was necessary (nothing treats virus.) However some cases can be particularly virulent, and then only possible actions are quarantine, +/or euthanasia to contain spreading.

I lost the first male after six weeks, then my only female*, two weeks later. Now three 1/2 months in, I have lost a total of FIVE of the nine fish I received. (Please don't ask me about water parameters....yada....yada.... Currently I'm running 12+ tanks**, around 300+ gallons. It's not ammonia.)

I did run a course of Maracyn-EM in the first week, just to be sure. No change in the blemish/ blister. Later, after I lost the first two fish, I ran three treatments of Prazipro. I did this when I saw a third fish looking badly, and in case my initial diagnosis of viral was wrong. I still lost three more fish, slowly over the last six weeks.

More Info & Mystery Deepens
They are in a 15g QT. I added Endlers for dithers. Yes, I'm getting baby Endlers. Both adult and baby Endlers seem completely unaffected. One month ago I threw in four half-inch Pelvicachromis taeniatus fry - I've got some to spare:redface: ; they show no sign of disease and are growing.

Because I had one female, after the fish settled, I could see some action happening w/ the boys jostling for attention. Since I was still concerned about the blemish not being resolved, I set up a second 10g QT, and moved the alpha male and the female. Yes, they spawned 04/11, five wks after arriving. When the fry started free swimming I moved the male back w/ the other boys. Even though the female became sick and died these fry are growing and seem to be doing just fine. (When I noticed the female started looking ill I removed her from the fry tank.)

So, I've been loosing my adult A. cacatuoides; the fry are seemingly doing okay and growing. The livebearer species are not getting sick. So far, the other cichlid species (P. taeniatus) are not showing illness. MYSTERIOUS!

- - - - - -

Thankfully, I learned a hard lesson a couple years ago. I don't care where a fish comes from, they go thru QT. Now, these fish are still in a QT. If I stop loosing any A. cacatuoides, how long should I still keep them under observation and QT? Or will it ever be safe to move them out of this tank and into a community show tank??? I had planned this group for my 75g high tech, heavily planted display tank. :mad:

Sometimes this hobby has more than its share of frustration and heartache!!!!!!!!!!!

Footnotes :wink: :
*OKAY, yeah, why only ONE female!!!! Should have received 4 pairs.

* *Publicly, it's my policy to admit only 6 or 12 tanks, depending:tongue: . For other hobbiest: when I can work out the kink on my bowing shelf in the newly purchased metal "Muscle Rack". . . there will be four more!

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Almost 1 year ago, I bought directly from the importer 7 wild M. ramirezzi; one of them (a male) with something like cotton.

First of all, I separated him and treated him as if he had a fungal infection. But the "cotton thing" began to grow, so I suspected I was dealing with Lymphocystis.

Because I read (don´t remember where) that water quality is very important for a fish with this disease, I change 50% diary with RO water. In two months the fish was in very good shape, so I mixed him with the others M. ramirezzi.

Now, he´s the alfa male and no sign of disease.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian61

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(