• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another stocking q.

beleg

5 Year Member
I have a friend who has a tank with 200 l capacity (100cm X 40 cm bottom area).

He is planning to keep dwarf cichlids in it and his plan for setup is as follows,

Bottom decorated with 20 or so coconut shells. 2 big rocks with small holes. Plants suitable for low light brown water conditions (Echinodorus, Java Fern , J. moss etc. )

4 pairs of A. cacatuoides (i recommended 2 males 4 females)
1 pair of A. agasizzi
2 pairs of A. sp. steelblue.

He wont keep another fish , maybe save for some algae eaters ..

What are your thoughts? Can the fish get along with out fatal fights?
Can the parents raise brood at least until swimming stage? He has spare tanks he can take the fry but it would be hard for him to catch the mother at same time.

Any help is appreciated.

Randall

5 Year Member
Stocking

Hello beleg,

The tank you cite sounds too small for 7 pairs of Apistogramma spp; given the dimensions, even 5 pairs may be pushing it. Also, with 20 coconut shells and two rocks in an area of 4000 cm^2, where would the fish swim?

Randall Kohn

beleg

5 Year Member
Thanks Randall,
That was also what i had in mind but wanted to double check. The shells are broken and cover the bottom of the tank like leaf litter. Some are intact to provide breeding space..

Can A. cacatuoides get along with A agassizzi in the same tank?

Regards,
Tolga

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think that your friend will be more successful producing fry if he keeps only 2 or 3 trios. A. agassizii should do well with A. cacatuoides. There will be some impressive, but harmless displays between the species. Suggest that he place the shells on the opposite ends of the tank and place boundary plants in the center. Each female will need a brood territory at least 30 cm in diameter. Each male will need more (with the female territories in his own).

beleg

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike,

I am planning to change species in my planted tank as well. I will put a pair of agas and a trio of cacs with some surface dwelling fish and a pair of angelfish..

I hope it works fine for me as well..

beleg

5 Year Member
Yeah, they are the pigs of aquariums. I kept & bred angels for almost a decade now but i never got bored of them . They look majestic in planted aquariums.

volkant80

5 Year Member
Beleg is the friend of mine. The tank is mine which is talked about

my tank's movie is here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R27_qIbGVw

if you are ok, I will be able to take out some fishes.
the tank is including below fishes now:
1 festivum, 10cm
2 severum, 5cm
2 maronii (keyhole), 4cm
4 angel 4 cm
9 Apistogramma regani steelblue (3 female 6 male)
2 Apistogramma agassizii
3 neon tetra
4 labeo
1 kuhli
3 corydoras
1 betta female

100*40*60h 240 lt
ph 7

Note: My language is not good. Sorry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….