• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another mixing species thread...

Hi all,
Need some advice. Have 5 young A. agassizi in a 30L tank, 2 males....one is making life miserable for other male. Have 3 young A. eunotus in a 20L (one DEFINITE male, a little aggressive, one probable male and one maybe female). Think the harassed agassizi would be ok in the 20L? The dominant male in there isn't overly aggressive with anybody, a little chasing. Being they are from different complexes, might it work short term? Thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It should be ok - if you rearrange some of the decor so the old territories are removed. It gives the new fish a chance to establish a territory, too. Otherwise it will be considered an invader.

Just as an update Mike...moved the newer agassizi to the 20L after rearranging and adding more structure to it. He and the dominant A. eunotus sparred a bit (fascinating to watch), the agassizi realized he was better off retreating (rightfully so, I think, the eunotus just LOOKS tougher...lol...he IS a wild-caught, while the aggy is tank-bred). The eunotus doesn't hunt him down, but the aggy must pretty much keep in hiding. At least he isn't being harassed. Meanwhile the other aggy is harassing all 3 females in the 30L. Geeessshhhhh...why didn't I stick to Central American cichlids? They were peaceful by comparison....lol. Thanks again, hopefully things will sort selves out soon, as I can't do another tank right now.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….