• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another lfs ID

Bdall28

I got this guy as a baby labeled as a wild caught borelli but I've not been able to get more since. Now I can't figure out what it truly is. A steel blue borelli? Now neon blue agassizi keep popping up that look similar but that doesn't sound right either. Thoughts?
20231117_171101.jpg

MacZ

Apistogramma sp. "Steel blue" (the fish above in the picture) have no connection with the species A. borellii. That's a misnomer due to the non-regulation of tradenames.
Steel blues are a hybrid of as of now still unknown origin and genetic makeup. A completely man-made fish. And as far as I know there are few to no females found in the trade. I wouldn't try finding one if I got such a fish by accident (as I wouldn't want them for any money in the world) because if it was the wrong species a chance of getting reallly messed up mutts is high.

Bdall28

Apistogramma sp. "Steel blue" (the fish above in the picture) have no connection with the species A. borellii. That's a misnomer due to the non-regulation of tradenames.
Steel blues are a hybrid of as of now still unknown origin and genetic makeup. A completely man-made fish. And as far as I know there are few to no females found in the trade. I wouldn't try finding one if I got such a fish by accident (as I wouldn't want them for any money in the world) because if it was the wrong species a chance of getting reallly messed up mutts is high.
Wow that's kind of a bummer because it is a good looking fish. Now that I know what I'm looking at though I won't get another if I do seem them. Thank you.

anewbie

Also if it is a steel blue it is not a wc caught fish as those are only tank raised... which is an oddity if the store labelled as wc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….