• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anomalochromis Thomasi -Sierra Leone

viejo

5 Year Member
Just a heads up. Atlantis Tropical Fish in N.Y. seems to be listing the Sierra Leone race of Thomasi on Aquabid. These have been very hard to come by in the last few years. This all assuming that the fish for sale are those shown in the photo included in the listing.

viejo

5 Year Member
SLthomasi.jpg

They are probably not listed because they are taking bids on Aquabid. Here is a copy of the picture that they have posted there (enlarged & sharpened).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Definitely not the Guinea form (no dorsal/ventral rows of spots). It will be interesting to see how they develop. Many years ago (decades actually) Dr. Loiselle told me about the long lost (in the hobby) red-eyed thomasi from Sierra Leon.

aarhud

5 Year Member
Yes, does not look like the Sierra Leon form to me either.

On a side note, I first became interested in A. thomasi after reading the article Dr. Loiselle wrote on them. I purchased six and never did get them to spawn. I have read that other people had trouble getting them to breed as well, have any of your experienced that? My water is fairly soft and I never have trouble with Apistogramma. PH 6.5, KH and GH of 1-3. Could it be that the Guinea form is less cooperative than the Sierra Leon form?

viejo

5 Year Member
Note the red dots behind the gills, 3 distinct mid lateral spots, no dorsal/ventral spots ( as Mike noted) , lack of vertical barring when not in spawning color, violet/blue base color, etc. The fish pictured are almost certainly of SL origin. Funny thing is that when I first acquired the SL form some 30 years ago, I had great difficulty getting spawns. When I worked with both races some 10 years later, I couldn't get them to stop spawning on a bet & this was in Utah tap water- hard & alkaline.

aarhud

5 Year Member
I misread Mikes post. Considering two of you disagree with me I am probably wrong.

viejo

5 Year Member
Definitely not the Guinea form (no dorsal/ventral rows of spots). It will be interesting to see how they develop. Many years ago (decades actually) Dr. Loiselle told me about the long lost (in the hobby) red-eyed thomasi from Sierra Leon.
Paul didn't happen to mention this @ a Colorado Spring Cichlid convention did he?

viejo

5 Year Member
I won't be able to pick up on these just now, too much going on in my life but somebody oughta. Of course the possibility exists that Atlantis may be using an old photo & actually have the Guinea race in stock.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I never had the Sierra Leone population, but found the Liberia (type) and Guinea forms to breed like flies. Larry, no not the 1985 ACA convention; the 1984 Western Cichlid Conference. I told you all it was decades ago!:)

viejo

5 Year Member
Yes Mike, I was referring to the Western Cichlid Conference. I was there also, bought some books & translations from you as I recall. I haven't had the Liberian race ( as far as I know) but the Sierra Leone form is also highly prolific.

Chromedome

5 Year Member
Loiselle has an article in the July Cichlid News on Anomalochromis, he claims that attempts to cross Liberian fish to Sierra Leone fish failed, though both populations bred well for him. He seems to be of the opinion that these are probably separate species, as well as the Guinea form. He also mentions that the Liberian fish were the redeyed thomasi. Lamboj also had a photo of another form, not seen in the hobby AFAIK. Scientists these days seem to hate monotypic genera, so I would look forward to new species names.

I've bred the Guinean form, it's been the only one available for about a decade now. They were very easy, adaptable, and the greatest eliminators of MT snails that I've ever seen. Had another form back in the early 90s, but was not successful in getting anything from them. They were a large, old pair, and may have been past breeding age.

viejo

5 Year Member
Yes, I would say that the races of anomalochromis are distinct enough to warrant separate species status & this is coming from a person with definite 'lumper' tendencies. I could never get the Guinea & Sierra Leone populations to show any reproductive interest in each other let alone producing infertile spawns.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….