• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ammonia

lvdwfc

5 Year Member
:eek: I have a new tank 5wkS old, heavily planted. At 2wks it was cycled, Then put in too many fish,:redface: reduced fish population down to 3 plus frog, got ammonia down from verrrry high to .5 but ammonia levels won't drop past this. Why is this? It is making me crazy. All fish and frog in tank accounted for and living. I have made sure there isn't alot of dead leaves on the bottom and filter isn't overly dirty. What else? janeen

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
How many days has it been at .5? Maybe it just needs more time. You might also try using the test kit on some distilled water... you might be getting a bad reading.

lvdwfc

5 Year Member
The ammonia level has been at .5 for about a 1.5-2wks. the nitrite is 0 and nirate is 0, ph at 6. I'm running hang-on filter and airstone. temp about 76-78 degrees.

bigbird

5 Year Member
What are you feeding the frog, how often and also the fish. Is there a lot of food left over after feeding. Are you fertilizing the plants or are they decaying ? Do you have a home made CO2 device ? Did you use the correct water mix of chemicals for conditioner ? Did you remove the dead fish ? Are dead fish in the filter ?
Ammonia is produced by decaying animal or plant matter and also urine. Also sometimes in rainwater tanks , if you are using tank water.
Have you tried to add a compound by Nutrafin called Cycle, which is live beneficial bacteria to reduce ammonia and other levels ?
Just some more questions to try and solve your riddle and problem ?
cheers jan-kurt :cool:
ps sorry for the loss of your fish so far

lvdwfc

5 Year Member
I have done everything you mentioned already. there aren't any dead fish and I'm only feeding the 3 fish and frog once every 2-3 days a sm amt. I'm feeding the plants every 2-3 days flourish and also using floruish excell, a carbon product which works great. Plants have grown huge in 5 wks. I use these products in my ram tank without any problems. That's why I'm lost about the ammonia. The green that comes up in test tube is a little different from the colors on the card for h20 testing and that baffles me too. My experience with the test kits have been that the colors match pretty well. I've been rasing pond fish approx. 5 yrs. The tanks are new hobbie.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Thanks for further info.
My suggestion would be not to feed the plants flourish or flourish excell for at least 2-3 weeks, Do a 30% water change and then let the tank cycle itself, again no more flourish. It could be that you over fertilised the tank.
hope this helps you further. cheers jan-kurt

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussieApisto

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(