• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ammonia and Nitrate Levels

andrespalomino

5 Year Member
I would like to know if there are some factors (Temp, pH,..) that influence the concentration of this nitrogen compounds in the aquaria.

Also, Is the oxigen concentration important in the determination of the ammonia and nitrate levels in the water?.

Thanks

fishgeek

Primarily nitrogen in the fish food is the main source of nitrogenous compounds in the aquarium , this is either as waste food or after passing through the fish and being excreted as ammonia

other sources may include at times decaying protein in dead fish or severe plnat/alagl die backs

The factors you touch on dont affect the total nitrogen levels rather tank maintainece/feeding regime's and filter biocapicty do
though certainly temperature and pH do affect the chemical conversion and ionisation of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate

ammonia is more toxic at warmer water and higher pH and decreased salinity , it is the unionised component that cause's toxicity

nitrite is an oxidation product though i do not known whther oxygen levels could have any effect on it's conversion

nitrate again is an oxidation product

andrew

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….