• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Alcolapia alcalicus

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I decided to start a new thread on my alcalicus in the West African section, although it's not the best fit, geographically speaking. I posted a couple of better pictures here: http://forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=9418

Looks like I lucked out quickly, and one of the females is already holding:

IMG_3334.jpg

My apologies for the blurry picture. I'll have to dig up stand and extra lighting this weekend and try to do better.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Nope, they have a tank (40G breeder) to themselves; most of them are really small right now. I'll probably split the group up pretty soon to minimize the risk of losing them all should disaster strike (cracked glass, or so).

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Two of the females are holding again. I isolated one of them (small tank in the large tank) and left the other in the large tank. Let's wait and see if I get anything this time.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I've had some of my females holding a few times, but they always ended up eating the fry. About 10 days ago, I noticed that one of the females was holding again and put her in isolation. I'm not a friend of stripping fish, but this time I didn't want to take a chance by waiting too long. I've got eight babies with egg sacs (shown below). Obviously, I could/should have waited longer, but previously my females swallowed their fry right around 10 days after I noticed they were holding. I didn't get all the fry, but didn't want to force the issue (the female is still very small and didn't want to cooperate). Well, still long ways to go for the eight young ones, but perhaps a first step towards setting up a second colony...

Alcolapiaalcalicus.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Congrats Janos! It's great to hear that another rare fish in the U.S. hobby might be able to start getting spread around sooner then later. Maybe you will have some fry ready to go by the ACA convention this summer...

Jeff

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Thanks Jeff, but for the time being I'm only cautiously optimistic. Never had to work with larvae that young. I peeked in the tank this morning. Larvae and the holding female seem to be doing well (both are isolated in two small tanks sitting inside the big tank).

Janos

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Looks like you could use an egg tumbler for the fry. But if you can keep them lightly bouncing in the tank/container that they're in you should be good.

Welcome to the world of mouthbrooders!

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I managed to raise three free-swimming alcalicus from another female that I stripped a while back. Finally! I'm cautiously optimistic, although the threesome is probably not totally out of the woods yet! Now that I worked out what needs to be done, I hope to be able to raise some more fry in the near future. The females are still pretty small and produce not a whole lot of eggs. I hope to take some pictures this weekend.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Ed: I'm still not taking a chance with the females. I'd like to devote a second tank in my fishroom to another group of alcalicus as insurance against desaster (broken glass) and to maintain some genetic diversity. Once that's accomplished, I'll let the females hold to term and pass any surplus on to fellow hobbyists. At least that's the plan.

Janos

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Steve:

As you know, the tap water here in Nebraska is pretty hard, which happens to work well for the alcalicus. I add about 10 grams of table salt per gallon during water changes. I use the salt without iodine but don't think that matters too much. The fish like it relatively warm: about 27 degrees Celcius, but can handle temps higher than 30C.

Janos

wethumbs

5 Year Member
The iodised salt is not harmful to fish. Only free iodine is toxic to fish. The iodised salt typically uses potassium or sodium iodate/iodide and at an amount of milliliter to 1 ton of NaCl. So the iodine in 1lb iodized salt only amount to microliter or ppm level.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothygaw

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….