• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aggie D red spawning but no fry

jhj0112

Hi All,

First of all! happy new year to members :)

I have had a pair of aggie D red and they spawned 3 times.. However, every time they spawned, eggs are gone after 2 days.. I assume female ate eggs..

first eggs looked infertile as it was whitish eggs but the last 2 batches of eggs were somewhat pink (pale pink).

My water parameter is PH 6.6 TDS 65 temp 79F.. female is about 1.5 inches and male is over 2 inches.
even though I put 2 clay pot (upside down with small opening). they chose to lay eggs under the driftwood.

Is there anything I can do to have fry on the next batch of eggs? there are pencilfishes and ottos in the tank. maybe my d red male is infertile? is the color of eggs the only way to know if male is fertile or not??

thanks

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Before you blame the fish, you should try different water parameters. My guess is the water parameters are not conducive for the eggs to hatch. Once you have found the right parameters they are very easy. I have 4 batches of fry currently growing in various sizes.

gerald

5 Year Member
For domestic aggasizi strains I think pH 6.6 and TDS 65 mg/L is probably OK, although lower might be better. I've had aggie eggs hatch at pH 7 and TDS around 100 mg/L. Two days is when the eggs should "disappear" (hatch) and the mother may move them somewhere else. Perhaps they are hatching and then dying (or being eaten). It might be a "young mother" problem, that will resolve with age, or a nutrition issue. If she's not getting enough of the right foods to produce good yolk in her eggs, the fry may not hatch, or they hatch but dont have enough nutrition to continue developing for another 5 days until they can feed on their own.

gerald

5 Year Member
Adding some fresh-hatched brine shrimp and live mosquito larvae when you can get them (probably not now in Vancouver) might yield richer egg yolk and stronger fry.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's also possible that the female does not find the breeding cave adequate for survival of the eggs/larvae for some reason. Some fish are very picky.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….