• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Agassizi Fire Red

cdawson

5 Year Member
Guys, I recently picked up a pair of these and I'm concerned about the total lack of information on them out there. What if any, can anyone tell me about them? What type localities did the strain come from, and what parameters should I be aiming for?
Are these just as undemanding as most of the common agassizi?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They look like a domestic cross between the Red-back/Rotrücken Aggie and a Red Aggie. It is a very pretty fish, probably a mix of the true A. agassizii (Red) and A. cf. agassizii from the possibly from the area around Santarem (Red-back). They should breed like normal aggies. If not, start lowering the pH slowly. That is what I did with my Gold Aggies (a morph of A. cf. agassizii Madeira). They finally bred at a pH around 5.8.

cdawson

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
They look like a domestic cross between the Red-back/Rotrücken Aggie and a Red Aggie. It is a very pretty fish, probably a mix of the true A. agassizii (Red) and A. cf. agassizii from the possibly from the area around Santarem (Red-back). They should breed like normal aggies. If not, start lowering the pH slowly. That is what I did with my Gold Aggies (a morph of A. cf. agassizii Madeira). They finally bred at a pH around 5.8.

I moved them into my nijsseni's old breeding tank, with the ph at 5.5. I know it's a little low for aggies so I added some eco-complete to help raise the kh and ph. I added the eco-complete in a couple long/shallow tupperware containers in case like you mentioned they need a lower ph and I can remove the eco-complete and lower the ph again.

I paid a pretty penny for these beauties so I definately want to breed a few batches of them so I can recover from the significant damage these guys caused to my bank account!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….