• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Above the waterline

cageman

5 Year Member
My paludarium:
100_0662.jpg

DH247

5 Year Member
Lovely! I am looking to do something similar for some of my orchids come the summer time. Any tips or advice for putting something together like that would be appreciated!

Btw, are those ladyslippers (the look like phragmipediums) on the back wall? And a miniature dendrobium below? If so what species are they? How often do you fertilize? Again, stunning set-up!

cageman

5 Year Member
Sure no problem.
Ofcource, first you start with an emty terrarium and place the pvc piping for waterfalls and such:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/cageman13/P1010379-1.jpg
Then you start the hardscape:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/cageman13/P1010381.jpg
I used tempex and isolation foam. I do not exactly know the correct English names,...:)
You can also choose to first place the fernroot plates(or material that is also usable for this purpose like epiweb) and than start the hardscape.

After that you can add the epoxy resin(make sure it is resin that can also be used in the food industry because of damaging substances). Do not use polyester resin because it will hydorlize in acid environments!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/cageman13/P1010388.jpg

Make sure you have figured out where you want your wood before you add the epoxy resin. This leaves the possibillity to change the scape.

I used three layers of epoxy. In the last layer I added peat for water absorption.

Make sure that in the end there are no small holes where animals could get stuck.

And than ofcourse the Plants and later,... the Animals.
Right now I have three Dendrobates ventrimaculatus "Amazonicus".
In the near future there will also come three Epipedobates tricolor. Nice beginner frogs that aren't so expensive as most other species.

Than your plant question:
Above on the left I have Coelogyne ovalis
The Orchid on the bodem is not yet determined. I've got it from a fellow hobbyist and he did not know eather. We suspect it is a Pleurothallis.

DH247

5 Year Member
Awesome! Thank you! Good luck with getting your dendrobium to bloom! Please post pics when it does. I'm a bit of a nut for miniature dendrobiums. One of my favourites is Den. Unicum. Stunning flowers!
Dendrobium_unicum(min).jpg

(photo from Oak Hill Gardens online catalogue)

I'm really looking forward to having the space and time for a project like this :biggrin:

DH247

5 Year Member
Very nice! The coelogyne flowers remind me of some the flowers in the maxillaria tribe. Both are very cool! I have never had much success with the softer leaved species... My growing conditions were never quite right for them so they would just get in worse and worse shape. I'm hoping to work with some of the more challenging species with a good sized terranium, like some of the catasetum species.

cageman

5 Year Member
To be honest, I'm still quite a noob with Orchids:redface:
This paludarium is my first glimp into the world above the waterline.
It has been standing for about four months now.

Ofcouce I'm learning, but one step at a time. My study is more important right now:biggrin:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….