• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

aarg those hydra's

Erik82

5 Year Member
Hi all,
the breeders under you probably have had some issues with hydra's. Well those teeny little creatures are in all my tanks not very much but enough to bring down the amount of fry.... Mostly they come with the artemia witch i use to feed the fry.

Since a few weeks my A. sp blutkehl are very reproductive. As all breeders i would like to grow the fry up as much as i can. But i noticed that the hydra's eat some of them.

I would like to get rid of them but how? I heard about using a battery (example: http://www.hamco.nl/files/image/products/Batterij_Varta_9V_Blok_418x325.jpg) by using a copper wire at the plus and min and put this into the water. But will this harm the fry? Which method do you use to get rid of the hydra without harming the fry or snails?

Best regards,
Erik

ste12000

5 Year Member
Hydra are not something ive ever had a problem with.. Several friends do have problems with them though.

One uses the battery method and actually touches the hydra with the copper wire, this zaps them and kills them off..

The second uses apple snails and explained to me that they are very effective at clearing them, this fishroom is actually a public aquarium and i was in the breeding room behind the scenes, these fellas know their stuff and can be relied on for accurate information and tips..

gerald

5 Year Member
Hydra treatment

FLUbendazole (a chicken de-wormer) kills Hydra in a few days, and is also pretty effective against many ectoparasites (including ich and velvet) and some intestinal protozoa and worms. It is safe even with very young fry and doesn't seem to bother filter bacteria. Charles Harrison in Missouri USA has info on Flubendazole chemistry and use here:
http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ItemsForSale.html

The-Influence

Spixi

Spixi snails eat hydra . I had hydra in my 40 gallon so I put 5 spixi snails and iv not seen any hydra so I think the wiped them out ! Mind you they also wiped outy dwarf Jair grass and sent all my water sprite lose but chewing the stems .... So if it's a planted tank maybe stay away from these guys lol

Blake

Erik82

5 Year Member
At the advise of a senior breeder i tried some substances. The thing i used is Gatstropex. Officially it is a pesticide for against snails. It also is very effective against hydra's! All of them are gone now!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….