• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A.nijsseni

Noddy65

5 Year Member
Hi all
My LFS has just got in some nice A.nijsseni, Ive reserved 2 pair but Im wondering if they would do better in trios.
The aquariums are moderatley planted with hiding spots but are only 50 litres (around 2 ' x 1 ' x 1 '), I was going to house them as single pairs but would a male and two females be better.

Any thoughts and advsied would be appreciated.

Mike

KenL

5 Year Member
I think nijsseni have a bit of a reputation for being better in pairs.

Your 2x1x1' tank may result in the "spare" female being harassed or killed. I'd stick with a single pair.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have tried trios of both nijsseni and panduro. In both cases the less dominant female never spawned and was constantly picked. The pair, once established, got along well.

C

creedmore creek

I have always kept nijsseni in pairs with dither fish. I've never had a problem getting them to spawn that way either.

Noddy65

5 Year Member
One last question people.
Ive picked up the fish and I think Ive grabbed one male and three females. Ive got 2 definate females but one Im not sure about, the unsure one has a black spot on the tail.
What do you think?

thanks
Mike

KenL

5 Year Member
If they are young, a male could still show a dark patch in front of the tail. Post some pictures of all of them is you can.

Noddy65

5 Year Member
Ok here we go
Male?
male.jpg

Female?
female2.jpg

Female?
female3.jpg

Female?
female.jpg

Sorry the pics arent the best..its the best i can do at the moment.

Mike

KenL

5 Year Member
Noddy65 said:
Ok here we go
Male?
male.jpg

Female?
female2.jpg

Female?
female3.jpg

Female?
female.jpg

Sorry the pics arent the best..its the best i can do at the moment.

Mike

Hopefully other people will post but I say:

1. male
2. probably female
3. female
4. female

Noddy65

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies people.
Its the only pics for at least a week, the wife has gone away for a week and taken the digital camera with her. The pics were a rush job taken just before she left.

Mike

cdawson

5 Year Member
I disagree, those are all males.

The abdominal spot is not big enough for a female, and it's blue. The spot on a female is black and much larger. The black on the face is larger on the female as well.

KenL

5 Year Member
cdawson said:
I disagree, those are all males.

The abdominal spot is not big enough for a female, and it's blue. The spot on a female is black and much larger. The black on the face is larger on the female as well.

When I bred and raised nijsseni fry the females had various blotch markings on them.

Some females had a big blotch on both sides, some only had a blotch on one side, some had no blotch on the sides.

I still think that only the first picture is a male.

cdawson

5 Year Member
KenL said:
When I bred and raised nijsseni fry the females had various blotch markings on them.

Some females had a big blotch on both sides, some only had a blotch on one side, some had no blotch on the sides.

I still think that only the first picture is a male.

They're more than likely sub dominant males, they have no signs of being a female at all.
They're still young so they will still have the dark spot in front of the tail.

Noddy65

5 Year Member
Ok...Heres the solution people, the fish are abit older now.

1. Male
2. Female
3. Female
4. Female

I obtained another male and now have the fish as a pair in one aquarium and a trio in another.

Two of the females now have VERY strong black patches and have taken up residence in some pots, they seem to be out courting the males now. The males are still mostly uncoloured but get a bit excited when the females do theyre courting and turn a nice purple/blue colour.

One female in the trio is definatley the subordinate fish, Ill pull her out when I get a chance.

Mike

blueblue

5 Year Member
Yes, only the first one is male, and the rest are all female. :)

P.S.: There are some Panda females which do not have big black
markings on the body. I would think that they are the type
in-between A. sp. Zwilling, and the classicPanda.

Noddy65 said:
Ok...Heres the solution people, the fish are abit older now.

1. Male
2. Female
3. Female
4. Female

I obtained another male and now have the fish as a pair in one aquarium and a trio in another.

Two of the females now have VERY strong black patches and have taken up residence in some pots, they seem to be out courting the males now. The males are still mostly uncoloured but get a bit excited when the females do theyre courting and turn a nice purple/blue colour.

One female in the trio is definatley the subordinate fish, Ill pull her out when I get a chance.

Mike

KenL

5 Year Member
blueblue said:
P.S.: There are some Panda females which do not have big black markings on the body. I would think that they are the type
in-between A. sp. Zwilling, and the classicPanda.

Hi Blueblue, I got females with different side spot patterns all in the same spawn from a female who had a perfect large spot on both sides of the body.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….