• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. juruensis/black-chin/Schwarzkinn compatibility question

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member
So I was in the Newark NJ area this past weekend, and checked out Shark Aquarium (www.sharkaquarium.com/). Wow, great variety of cichlids (especially flowerhorns), large catfish, and piranha.

Anyway, as an impulse buy, I bought a male "A. jurensis" (though since it was only $6, and doesn't have blue lips, I'm guessing its probably a black-chin/Schwarzkinn). It is currently in a 12 gallon eclipse tank in quarrantine. (It was the only individual available, no females).

My question is which tank to put this apisto in? I have a 75g show tank with A. agassazi and A. borelli (and tetras and plecos). I also have a 56g show tank with tetras and plecos, and no cichilds. I was planning to put some A. cacatuoides in the 56g, if I could ever find some triple reds (or decently priced orange flash). Would the "juruensis" be ok in either tank? If it goes in the 56g, would it be ok if I got some cacatuoides for that tank eventually, or are they too similar? Is the "juruensis" too similar to the borelli for the 75g tank? The 75 g tank is heavily planted; the 56g not so heavily planted.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, I wouldn't add your Black-chin in with A. cacatuoies. They are so similar that aggression would likely occur. If the 75 is properly decorated, I see no problem adding it here. All 3 species are sufficiently different that extreme aggression is less likely. Just be sure that there is a territory where it can live peacefully.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….