• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. cacatuoides...

snytiger_92

5 Year Member
I plan on buying some triple reds from an auction site on the Net. I wonder: For a 30-gallon cube, can I house three females and one male? Or would this be too many cichlids of this species in that sized tank? Would two females and one male be better? :confused:

The bid is for pairs of these beautiful fish :) , and the seller (whom I have bothered enough with questions, I think) guarantees the correct sexes being shipped.

I just don't want to buy fish and then stress them to death.
Thanks for any help!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I can't say if your 30 cube will be big enough for they fish you want. Each female will need a minimum of 1x1 ft. (30x30 cm.) for their brood territory. It would be better to have about 25-50% more territory for each so that they have a buffer zone between territories. Additionally the male will need a place to go if all the females have fry at one time. The lay out of the tank is important, too. Territories are defined by visual objects in the tank - rocks, wood, plants, etc. It is best to break up the line-of-sight in the tank or the dominant female will take over most of the tank for herself.

snytiger_92

5 Year Member
I will try to put the fish in a 58 gallon tank, then. I believe I can fit three females and a male in that sized tank: That is, if I have not misunderstood your post. I'll put the other female and male in the 30 cube.

Do you believe this to be a 'safer' arrangement?

Thank you for your response!

Griz

5 Year Member
Just curious what the dimensions of a "30gal cube" is.

I have a trio in a 33gal which is 36x12x18. This has worked well for me but I don't think this tank would work well with 3 females. Perhaps if it was very heavily planted and a lot of thought put into it's layout.

snytiger_92

5 Year Member
Dimensions for the 30 gallon cube: 20.5 x 18.5 x 21.5
It is not very big at all. It is well planted. The fifty-eight is also a planted tank. I wanted to put the apistos in the 30 because I thought I could get the pH down easier in that tank. My pH in the 58 is about 7-7.2.

Griz

5 Year Member
I think a trio could work in the 30 cube. A foursome should be Ok in your 58 gal. As Mike said, much depends on the layout of the tank. BTW a pH of 7-7.2 is usually considered fine for cacs.

Z Man

5 Year Member
When just for breeding, I had all my Apisto pairs in 10 gallon tanks. Proven pairs were even placed in a 5. Saved a lot of room.

snytiger_92

5 Year Member
Griz said:
I think a trio could work in the 30 cube. A foursome should be Ok in your 58 gal.

So, I could place three females and one male in the 58 and one female and a male in the 30 with minimal problems?

BTW, thanks for the help!
DP

Griz

5 Year Member
IMO these would be the maximum numbers that would stand a chance of success. The layout of the tank and the individual personalities of the fish will determine if it will work or not.

apisto_shores

5 Year Member
aggressive fish

I have 125 gal that is heavily planted with wood and plants. I put two
pairs of triple red cacatuoides in it and one male actively hunted down
the other male two the point of death, also I saw the same behaviour
with the females, I removed the female to a ten gal. I also had the
exact same problem with two different pairs in my 75 gal. So I had to
remove a pair to a another ten gallon, whereby the male ended up
killing the female for territory reasons, so I moved him to the ten gal
with the lone female. Will see how that goes. So this fish is extremely
beautiful but very aggressive in my experience, bottom line I can only
house one pair in a 125 gal, 75 gal and barely 10 gal. I would be
cautious

snytiger_92

5 Year Member
I finally got the fish in (after some serious 'deliveryman' problems). We'll see how they do.

By the way, if you are looking for some Apistogrammas I highly recommend ApistoDave - I cannot tell you how pleased I am with his help in my getting this little fish.

Thanks Dave!

ragmansrams

5 Year Member
not too agressive

i have a female and two males in a 30 long with plenty of plants and caves the female has a small brood of fry and they are getting along pretty good i also have a 40 breeder tank with a pr of orange flash and a pr of trifaciata they both have plenty of fry and not really any agression

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ranikale

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….