• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. borellii Fry - Some Help Please

E

EB Red Devil

BABIES!!!

I've had my tank set up for barely 2 months now. In there I've got the two A. borellii and 6 Serpae Tetras. I was planning on getting a little group of Adolfi Corys, but now with the babies swimming around I'm a little pre-occupied. I've never had to deal with cichlid babies before (always had catfish to take care of the eggs), but I'm definately interested in trying to raise these little guys.

Oh yeah - the story. I work at a local petstore here in Tempe, AZ and after getting off work today I came home to feed the group. The tetras usually hang out together near the top, with my pair of gorgeous looking A. borellii hanging out in the plants and driftwood near the bottom. Today, the female dwarf (who has relatively recently turned BRIGHT yellow), has moved off to one corner of the aquarium among a bunch of plants and is doing a good job of defending her group of at least a couple dozen little babies that follow her around like ducklings. What do I do now? Are they good parents? Do I need to take the fry out and raise them seperately? No way can I have that many fish in the 20 that they're living in now if they all survive... All the help you can give me would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks a million in advance!!!

- Eric

Randall

5 Year Member
Apistogramma borellii fry

Hello Eric,

Congrats on your spawning success! Enjoy the experience.

Generally, Apistogramma species make good parents, so there's no need to separate the fry. Feeding your fry with an appropriately sized food is a surely a good idea. Many have success with baby brine shrimp fed several times daily.

At this stage, maintaining good water quality is important as well, so please keep up with your partial water changes. Because fry are involved, smaller water changes are recommended so the family is not unduly disturbed.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….