• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A black-white water tank ;-)

peterK

5 Year Member
Just want to show you my 100L tank> It's empty, but waiting for some Peruvian beauties:)
akwai.jpg

bwwt.jpg

peterK

5 Year Member
Since yesterday, the tank is house of 2 pairs of A. pantalone. As expected, they became very aggressive, to be exact - one of females has taken 4/5 of the aquarium. But she is not destroying rest of the group. However, as I see one of the males is more often visible in her territory:)
Dominant female:

Subdominant female

One of the males (bigger of them two, they are more shy than females):

peterK

5 Year Member
New pics :wink::
Dominant female:

Subdominant female:

Bigger male (actually, smaller than alfa female :wink: ):

Small male:

And dominant female once more :D :

:grin:

peterK

5 Year Member
Thanks much! I'm going to let this tank for only a pair, but bonding process is quite long in this species...

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks much! I'm going to let this tank for only a pair, but bonding process is quite long in this species...

hm.. i did manage to spawn this species. The trick is: always put the stronger fish in "jail" (floating tank) whenever there's big fight. After several rounds, they could get on well...

peterK

5 Year Member
hm.. i did manage to spawn this species. The trick is: always put the stronger fish in "jail" (floating tank) whenever there's big fight. After several rounds, they could get on well...
Wow, thank you, I'll try it. It helped with Crenicichla regani, so I think it's good idea for them (dominant female is a bit too aggressive...:mad:)

kkaaii

5 Year Member
leaves

Hi,

Great Tank!!!!

With so many leaves at the bottom,, i am curious how do you clean the sand? or do you clean it at all? could you please share your water maintenance?

thank you

kai

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I'm not sure about Peter, but I don't syphon my sand at all as such, in fact I do very little tank maintenance other than changing some water every day, and my suspicion would be that most keepers follow a similar routine.

Eventually the leaves skeletonize, and you can remove the skeletons and leaf fragments, but oak or beech leaves are quite stable and take a long time to break down (especially at with low nutrients and low pH).
cheers Darrel

Ruki

5 Year Member
In my tanks I clean sand and remove layer of leaves only when I'm restarting tank. Mess on the Apistogramma bottom is the best. :biggrin: Peter probably thinks and does the same as me. :wink:
P.S.
In one of polish forum about Dwarfs we've "Mess Band". :biggrin: Me and Peter are "members". :biggrin:

Tom C

5 Year Member
Beautiful tank, peterK!

This is one of the habitats where we collected the A. sp. "Alto Tapiche" in 2009. Beneath the surface it looked very much like your tank!

resizeimage.aspx

With those new inhabitants, I expect you'll soon see something like this:

resizeimage.aspx

(as you see, I, and my fish, like mess too.....)

After 8 weeks they'll look like this:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

Good luck!

peterK

5 Year Member
Thanks much for the reply Tom:cool:
I have to say male is very ready to spawn, but female seems to have no willingness, despite she's fat and her genital papilla is shown.:confused:
Here a newest pic of the tank:

And a pair:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….