• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

4 L. curviceps in a 33 gallon tank?

Jayhawk

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I picked up 4 L. curviceps to add to a 33 gallon tank (36" long by 12" wide). They're tiny right now (1" to 1.5" in size approximately - I asked for two bigger and two smaller ones from the same shipment), so I have no clue what I have sex-wise yet.

However, with the tank heavily planted, with driftwood and a few caves/rocky areas to break up sight lines...do you think the 4 will co-exist even as adults in my tank?

Just curious - I've had a pair of curviceps years ago (pair being just two fish - they never spawned to I'm guessing they were of the same sex), but I've never had 4 at once so didn't know how peaceful they'd be as they grew up and maybe, hopefully, a pair forms.

Thanks,

Eric

element

5 Year Member
curviceps are very peaceful for cichlids . they should co-exist even as adults fairly well . if they decide to spawn you may have to remove the other two . although every fish is an individual and i have had one curvicep that was much more aggressive than any of the others . he refused to allow an other curviceps into his territory , except ripe females . he is now in a show tank and gets along fine with the clethiacara and creniacara which share his space. hope this helps.
-Jason

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have a pair of L. curviceps that finally produced a spawn after about 5 years. The problem? They were in a 20 long aquarium (30x12x12" / 75x30x30 cm) with 2 other males, one a very dominant male who wouldn't let them have space to breed. Once I moved them to a tank of their own, it was less than a week before they spawned.

Jayhawk

5 Year Member
Sounds like a wait and see situation - they might do OK or need to be separated after (if) a pair forms. Considering how small they are, I know I have some time before I need to decide.

They must feel they've seriously moved up in life going from a 15 gallon tank (with a square footprint) to the 33. They're quite active, eating well, and hang out quite a bit together at this point.

So far, the only aggression in the tank is the blue finned killi who for some reason likes to display at the curviceps and then chase them if they decide to swim away. He's about as long as the curviceps, but only about 1/3rd the size since his body is so much smaller. The curviceps are slowly learning to ignore him...which causes him to swim off and try an intimidate other fish in the tank.

Eric

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….