• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

29 gallon dwarf setup

cubsfan

5 Year Member
In the near future, I plan on setting up a 29 gallon planted aquarium, with dwarf cichlids being the main occupants. My stocking plan was to definately include a pair or trio of cacatuides, and I was wondering if a single or pair of blue rams would be able to coexist in this size of tank with the apistos. Other occupants of the tank would include a small school of tetras, and a group of corys. Thanks for any advice you can provide on this topic. :)

Alternate stocking ideas would also be appreciated if this setup seems unlikely to succeed. :

Neil

cubsfan,

I think that it has as much chance of working as not. In a planted tank, there is a better chance for 2 pairs of cichlids to establish an area to defend. The tank is not all that large, but the structure and the fact that your choices differ in their breeding strategies (which seems to help for some reason), should allow you a fair chance at reasonable harmony in the tank. You won't know for sure until you try it.

Neil

BigDaddy

5 Year Member
If it's any indicator... my rams generally ignore my a. panduros. They will chase away the keyholes in the tank, but the panduros don't seem to be worth the effort for them.

Of couse, every cichlid is different....

cubsfan

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice guys! :D

I haven't decided yet if I am going to risk it or not, but I will post an update when I have established the tank.

Thanks again.

cubsfan

cubsfan

5 Year Member
I was wondering if maybe one ram in this tank setup would have a better chance of coexisting with the apistos than a pair. Any thoughts on this?

BigDaddy

5 Year Member
I have two pairs of rams living peacefully in a 75 gallon with 3 male panduros. No aggression issues at all.

If it is heavily planted, and you have caves for the apistos... I doubt you would have a problem with a single pair of rams.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….