• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

2 Hongsloi apisto females and a rotpunkt?

Curiosity101

I just need a bit of help... I reckon these are both female hongslois but I'm not 100%
I will try to get a better picture of the second one, that picture was taken whilst aclimating after I'd brought her home.

Hongsloi?
deadfemale.jpg

Hongsloi?
unknownfemale1.jpg

Rotpunkt female?
unknownfemale2.jpg

Sorry they aren't fantastic, I will try to get a better picture of the second female later today.

Curiosity101

hongsloiid1.jpg

hongsloiid2.jpg

hongsloiid3.jpg

In the second picture you can see a faint red strip along the base of the dorsal fin, a faint patch near the tail spot and a very faint line near the anal fin. I admit they all sound like male characteristics but it's female shaped, acts like a female (timid and has excavated a little cave under a plant pot which it often lives in), has black stripes along the front of the ventrals and anal fins, aswell as the black bits on the front few dorsal rays.

Plus for a possible male 'she' has a very big tummy. Nothing worryingly big, but at around 3-4cm it's the kind of tummy you'd expect on a female (and we're talking pre feeding not post feeding).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, from what I can see, your are correct with your species IDs. I can't say what the sex is on the hongsloi form. They are still young, so a male might pop out of the mix. Body shape - especially on domestic strains - often differ greatly from wild forms. In Linke and Staeck's book "Dwarf Cichlids", Dr. Staeck has a photo of a male specimen of A. hongsloi "Rotstrich" that has an almost round, discus-like, body.

Curiosity101

Thanks for your reply :)

So you think the rotpunkt is female?

I have lots more pictures of the second hongsloi if you'd like them. She/he has slightly orangey pectoral and anal fins with a black stripe down the front of the pectorals and along the bottom of the anal. A small red patch before the black dot around the caudal fin (which now you've said you've seen some roundish males makes me think it could be a male).

These are two of the best pictures I got, fish is looking a bit washed out due to stress. I had to catch it and put it in a smaller container near the front of the tank to get any decent shots as it hides alot.

hongsloiid8.jpg

hongsloiid6.jpg

Do male tend to make themselves little caves to live in then? Or rather have you ever seen them do anything like that? My definite male has always been very bold. Always up at the front to see what's going on, rarely ever hidden.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….